Monday 28 January 2013

Yes, No, Run, Sit?

Hello Blog lovers,

I really didn't know if I was going to get out this evening.  After work, the Old Boy thought he might get a bike ride in, but by the time he came home the wind had picked up and the rain had started. So he thought he might just come out for a short plod along the pavements with me.

Now running out in the wind is not my idea of fun, throw in a bit of rain and it's less likely that I will even venture up my stairs to get changed into my jogging gear. But eventually the Old Boy persuaded me to go and get changed "It's stopped raining now" he said. I was quite cosy in my snuggles blanket and it took an awful long of effort on my part to extract me from it.

By the time I was ready, shoes on, wind proof jacket on, sweat catching cap on, I was still waiting for satellites! "Let's just go" I said, just as I did on Sunday, "If I get found then I get found" I said, I just didn't want to lose this opportunity. I opened then door to be faced by torrential rain! We both retreated back inside. Umm'd and arr'd about it. Then I said, "That's it, I'm not going jogging today" and I set about getting my dinner ready, only a salad, which was already prepared by the Old Boy.

Just as I was about to add the finishing touches he came out and said "Quick, its stopped raining" I was not expecting nor was I looking forward to hearing those words! But, my marathon head came into force. "Ok, lets just do a fast blast, about 1.75 miles, to the Harvester and through the park" I said. 

We set off, more or less straight away. And I was like a bat out of hell, zooming off down the road, thinking about my dinner! "My goodness, a bit of a rain has put a bit of urgency into you" he said.  We ran up Faringdon and then straight up to pop out of top Oxhawth. Then it was straight down to the Harvester. I don't know when the satellites found me, but it informed me that it had 'lost' me again! I think maybe I will have to clear the old information out and start again!

I did start the time though, and I had a sneaky look at my Garmin when I got to the probable 1 mile mark. And it was under 11 minutes! I was pleased with that, but now for the .75 of a mile at hopefully the same pace. That was my thinking, anyway. The Old Boy had other thoughts.  "Up here, a bit further then down Holbrook and to the A21" he says, "Then up to the church, and along the ally way and then back home"

He has a way of surprising me like that. I wished I had of known that before I took off at stupid-a-mile a min pace! I duly followed and tried to keep up the same pace. I was stopping and starting again, as per my usual runs. All the way up to the church and to turn-around-lamppost. From here though, as suggested by the Old Boy, I shall do a little bit of fartlek training. Jog two lampposts and run one, jog two, run one all the way down the half mile of the alleyway.

Then it was a gentle jog for the rest of the way home. By the time I got in I was feeling quite pleased that I actually went out. The rain stayed away for the time we were out, and it felt quite warm out considering how cold it has been. In fact, both the Old Boy and I was totally sweaty bettys when we got in!

So here is my geeky stats for this run. There is, of course some missing bits. From the beginning of my run until it found me by the roundabout, but then it lots me again.  So I think I maybe need to add maybe half mile on top of what is shown.


No comments:

Post a Comment