Thursday 10 January 2013

Second Track Session!

Hello Blog Lovers.

Well its back to the track today. Discipline! Something that I'm not akin with! Although I like the feeling of the spongy surface of the track, and that each lap is exactly 400 metres, so you can easily calculate your pace even if your just have an ordinary wrist watch. The fact is......I am totally exposed out there! And I don't mean that I have joined in the ranks of Spider Mark, and running naked! No, I mean, I am out there on the track, lights showing up every inch (or should I say cm's as we are in new money!) of the track where I  am running. There are no cars to hide behind, or bushes to obscure me from the run leaders, coaches and anyone else who is looking at me. You can see me from every point of the track!

Hmmm, is that a good thing! Well, I guess so. It kept me going for the first 4 loops of the track. The first four laps were to be run at marathon pace, your own individual marathon pace I might add. Then we had to two laps at above marathon pace, a walk out of, well, I'm not  sure of the distance to the fenced off place where they do the hammer throwing,  but it was to there and then back to the start line, and then two more laps running at above marathon pace.

Now I'm sure if we had to do that three times, I kind of blacked out when it was said we had to run even faster after running the 1600m!  Any way, Me and Singstar Jo kept pace with each other on the 1600m bit and even chatted a bit after we settled down with the old breathing.  And then after that we kind of parted! I did try to keep up with her, but (excuse no. 2 I think it is) she is 20 years younger than me! Plus she has her own agenda and a PB that she is chasing for a half marathon!

The encouragement I got from the whole group today was just heartwarming! It really was! Everyone knows my name, I am hoping is because of my blogs, but more than likely it could be the 'whistle' I do before each Tuesday group runs. (I just hope its not because I am probably the longest slowest member of group 1) "Scooby Doo" Kitman Mike called out to me, as I plodded towards the finish line of one particular loop of the track!  "Run like your dancing" yelled Mr. S. "Come on Old Girl" others called out. That helped me to  remember to try and run lightly, head up, breath, don't die, you know all the other advice that I have been given over the last 4 years!

If the feeling I got from these guys for just running around a track, then having hundreds of thousands of people encouraging you on through the streets of London in April, I will be totally overwhelmed! I would probably feel like I am flying around the track!

A good session today. I really feel it in my calfs, I wonder if that is because I was doing the scooby running a bit better.  Mr. S. came with me on my last 'faster' lap and he was doing the quieter scooby like running with me, in his monkey shoe shod feet. I think it will click in! I hope it will, I am sure it helps to keep my head up more as I think about running correctly, which of course helps with the breathing, as I can take in more oxygen! See, I'm learning good!

I still think I missed out a lap, or maybe even a whole rep! but I felt I done some good today!

Geeky stats, and I will try and work out if I actually achieved what I was supposed to have been doing today.


No comments:

Post a Comment