Tuesday 8 January 2013

Watch Out, Scooby's About!

Hello blog lovers.

It's back to club runs again. It felt great to be back with all my running chums. Hitchy picked me up and we drove to the park.  The weather wasn't too bad, great for running in fact.  I quashed rumours of my graduation to group 2, but I also know that I have to push my self now. The marathon is not that far.

So for the first mile or so, it was good to be sweeper along with another young lady with the same name as me (but not my nick name of course), encouraging the ladies at the back, but then after that it was running with the main pack, while our Illustrious leader (it's good to have you back) took sweeper role.  The first mile is just the warm up, get the muscles used to the jogging, get the breathing sorted out, and then pick up the pace after that.

It was good seeing JJ, Kay, and all the other ladies and gents in group 1. Kitman Mike joined us as well, which is good I can ask tons of advice about my running, (if I can catch him up!) The first mile was done, and then it was just a little bit further into the Kelvin estate. The ones who didn't want to do the extra loop around the green carried straight on, the rest went around the green. Illustrious leader just looked at me and pointed me in the direction of the extra loop! (You know that training really begins hard now)

We all met up again at the end of the green. Now the group splits into two for the jog home. There is no sweeper role duty for me now, as Illustrious leader points me towards Kitman Mike to run along with the rest of group 1, at a slightly faster pace, non stop till we get back to the club.  I can do this. The ladies behind will be well looked after, I need to pick it up now and start to push out.

I kept up well with the pack, I was still at the back, but we were all together, jogging along quite nicely.  Kitman Mike was up at the front, I so want to ask him for more advice, anything that is going to help me get through to the end of the marathon and still enjoying running and no injuries! I start to push past a few of the others, and then as if my prayers were answered, Kitman Mike came back to check up on everyone, and then I stopped him as he made his way back to the beginning. "Hows was your Christmas" I asked. And we chatted for a while. Before I could ask him anything, he was on the ball! "Try to run quietly" he said to me "Think of Scooby Doo, creeping a head" Well, this did make me chuckle, especially as he demonstrated the 'Scooby walk'. But I had a go, I tried, "Quieter" he said and then I tried again "Thats it, its not easier and you won't be able to keep it up, but it will click" Well, I would hope so. And I also noticed why stretching out your calf muscles is important as I really felt those muscles working particularly harder running like 'Scooby'

The Old Boy has always said that I run rather flat footed, and basically about as dainty as an elephant. But I thought I was running a little lighter that I was at the beginning, the first time I ever put on running shoes. I remember when I used to really come down hard on my heels first! Now I have to retrain again.  And I thought running was simply a walk with faster legs and a bounce!

When we got back to the park, talking to Illustrious Leaders Husband,  more 'coaching' encouragement "See you at Pettswood station for the train run Old Girl" It didn't even sound like a question, more like a statement! Seems I am going to have to take it a little bit easier on the Saturday night for my school pals birthday party!  I have a 5.5 mile train run to do!


Geeky stats

2 comments:

  1. Donna, that is why you often hear me shout "Run like you're dancing" It is a way of thinking of becoming light and fairy like. You have yet to see me on a XCR but there is a "running" joke (yes a pun) that we flap our arms as we run down the hills...it makes you bird-like and light on your feet. Don't believe me....try it, it works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Flapping, dancing, fairy like Scooby doo, I must become! mmm, This training is going to be interesting! :-)

      Delete