Thursday 3 January 2013

Track Session - PWR Style!

Hello blog lovers!

Today was my first ever time on a track! My running club is doing 16 weeks of track sessions, hmmm, I do believe that is about the time left before the... MARATHON! ARRGGGGHHHH! But I have no worries! This marathon run is all about a challenge for myself. It's a 'I ran the London Marathon" conversation point for me. A little medal to show the grandchildren later on. A 'I did that' when I am by myself watching the London marathon on the telly.

But I have to be realistic too!  I have to train! I can't just rock up there, after only ever running 3 to 4 miles as a 'long run'. I know that! So I am taking my training serious. I will listen to all advice, and will take on board as much as my braincells can cope with! I realise I am not going to cross that finish line in some extraordinary first timer marathon runner miracle time! (I at least know my limitations on that score!) But a nice sensible time, for the nice sensible pace, that I am already running at, will do me just nice!

I was talking to one chap from our running club, he was running along with me, at my pace, because he wanted to break himself in to running again, after a few weeks absence. I was saying to him "Actually, I don't think I could ever go faster, I am just not that way" Well if you could see me then I'm sure you would agree! I'm short, with short legs! Not a runners legs what so ever. All I wanted from my running, in the very beginning was to get around the Race For Life, City route, in a reasonable time, and not to kill myself doing it!

As it happened on our very first Race For Life, 5K, our party of TWENTY actually walked the whole way around, singing our heads off, in a fantastic time of 1:20 hours! But after that my times did actually get quicker, (thankfully!)

But todays track session, three lots of four laps, 1600 m, (ooo I am sounding like a runner again!) but I did it at my pace. I think I was supposed to be doing a speedy lap, then a slower lap. But I think I must have confused that with the warm up in the beginning! That was definitely a slow, fast slow thing that we did!

But for my first introduction to a track session, I enjoyed it immensely! The encouragement I got from Sgt Mr. S, was, as always very vocal, and (dare I say this) made me push a little bit more every time I saw him running towards me! (Mr. S. does his own thing, and also in the opposite direction to everyone else) The advice I got from Paul, (his only piece of advice that he gives out concerning a marathon) is well and truly in situ firmly in my head! 'Don't start off too fast' ..... as if I would! (I think I need to introduce him to my blogs and geeky stats!) Each lap I did I was thinking, each time I got to the 'finish' line 'How many laps have I done?" I really didn't know! I am sure I missed out a lap or two, but hey how, for a first session, I am quite pleased, (not sure about my coaches though!)

Also want to give thanks to CarotCake Karen, doing the warm ups and for her session today, I will try to improve my, oh darn it, what is that word again......oh yes speedy sessions! A very good session this evening, I enjoyed in immensely, and I am looking forward to the next 15 weeks, even running along with LittleBoyLost Mark, as he does his 'warm down lap' as I am still doing my, ahemm, speedy lap! I knew I would be useful in these sessions some where!

I will put my geeky stats. ( and I think I did miss out on one lap! tut tut naughty)



Thanks all, thanks Kitman Mike for 'phone sitting' for me. What a terrific bunch of people I have become friends with!

Oh and to the three little babywipes that try to make me fall of my bike on the way home 'plllrrrrrttthhhhh'

No comments:

Post a Comment