Thursday 31 January 2013

Just A Little Extra Bit!

Hello blog lovers.

Yesterday evening, Smarty Pants and me had arranged to meet up and do just a little bit more extra training as we both had this afternoon kid free. Ok, I guess we could have gone down the pub, or to a restaurant and 'do lunch' but you runners know when the 'running bug is biting' it's hard to ignore!

We decided on a fairly short route, with some hill reps in the middle. Sounds Like fun eh?! Originally we were going to run from our estate to the hill in question, but Smarty Pants didn't really fancy the run up hill. So I suggested I drive there, then do a very short loop before coming back to the hill.

So that's what we did. After I dropped off my grandson to his pre-school I drove straight to Smarty Pants to pick her up, and we drove to Wood Rise in Pettswood.  "That's the hill that we will do the reps on" I said She looked up it. I don't think she was that impressed with it. She will just have to wait and see, ha ha ha ha (*evil laugh*)

We ran the short loop, the rain came down for just a few minutes, I was hoping it wasn't going to really chuck it down, as the hill reps will not be good fun at all! It was less than a mile loop that we did, .90 of a mile to be precise, and then we were into our hill reps.  I went first, to show her how its done (I know, its a bit like the blind leading the blind here!) But I just ran to the first lamppost at speed and then jogged back.

Smarty Pants went to the first lamppost and back again. Then I went further, to the telegraph pole this time and then back again. Blimey! My legs could feel that! That's the first rep done. But some how I don't think Smarty Pants quite grasped on to that idea.  After we had finished the third rep, I said "Ok that's good, now for the fourth one"
"But we have done six already" Said S.P. I felt pretty sure that we had only done three reps, and I wracked my brain thinking, "Maybe we did" I began thinking to myself, "Maybe we were that quick, Smarty Pants feels so sure that we have done six, and I know that I always lose count going around and around the track" I looked up the hill as if to try and visualise how many times I had touched the telegraph pole.
"It is one rep to the first lamppost, then two to the telegraph pole" She eventually said to me, and then I disillusioned her "Um, no, that equals 1 rep, we have to do that maybe 2 or three times more!"
"Lets just do a last jog around the short loop again" says Smarty Pants. 
I think she was really feeling the hill now. It may look only a short hill, but going up and down it at speed several times, soon shows you who's boss! But one day, we will be flying up there as if its just a pimple in the road!

Geeky stats for this session. As usual I forgot to start my Garmin, just after we finished the hill reps. So I'm guessing another .5 mile needs to be added to the distance, and maybe 6 minutes to the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment