Sunday 27 January 2013

Normal Service Has Been Resumed!

Hello Blog Lovers!

Well, what a week! Blizzard conditions kept me from my running and from getting any more miles in on my new bike (which I am quite pleased about really, because I don't want it to get too dirty just yet!) Yes, I know people do run in the snow, and I have even been one of the complete, basket cases who have run in the snow before! But I really didn't want to risk any possible injuries that could occur by running in the snow. After all, I have my two longest races coming up very soon. The Tonbridge Wells Half in February, and then the major race, the race that I have been training for, the Virgin London Marathon in April!

When I woke up this morning the sun was shining brightly, the Old Boy looked out of the window nand announced that the snow had all but gone. There was just a tiny pile of snow left, with a pair of sunglasses, a carrot and a scarf, heaped by the side of it, the remnants of Mr. Snowman.  I was looking forward to getting back from church today!

I got up and got myself ready for church, and off I went. Not to say that I was clock watching or anything, (although I was going to be talking to my daughter in Australia about 12:30 today) but the time went by quite quickly.  I said my goodbyes to the church folk and got home, and text my daughter to let her know I was back. I  also text Smarty Pants to see if she wanted to go for a run.  She seems to be going stir crazy with the lack of running this week as well! But she was more eager than me, and was out at 09:30 this morning!

But after a lovely conversation with my daughter in Oz, instead of sitting down missing her to bits, I quickly got myself together and then waited. I waited for the satellites to find my Garmin! Do you think it found it straight away?! Oh no! In the end I just started the timer and went out out, and thought, "If the Satellites don't find me, then it don't matter, I am out and running!"

I was going to do the 'Fartlek' training that was suggested by Kitman Mike. After a warm up half mile I went into my Fartlek. It was tougher than I thought it was going to be. I decided to run between only the lampposts on the pavement that I was on. Sometimes, back in the old days, I used to look for lampposts on both sides of the road as they came up quicker! But, this is training, so its the longer gaps between lampposts for me! And also, I found out, that some of the faster runs between the lampposts were even longer, as they crossed roads or went around corners!

I must admit I did do some walking! But only on the slower paced lamppost sections! I did run (I think) all of the faster paced sections, which I was quite pleased with.

All in all, it was just brilliant to be out running again. And I think I did, well..... not to bad. Here is my geeky stats, I think the satellites found me after about half a mile, but what I am pleased with is the time for this run. Quicker than I thought it would be, considering I haven't been out for AGES!!

<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/266655934'></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment