Sunday 13 January 2013

Train Run- The PWR Posse!

Hello blog lovers!

Today was my long run day. But this isn't any ordinary long run day! Oh no, it's the Pettswood Runners Annual Train Run. This entails, meeting up at Pettswood Station, and then getting a train to either Sevonoaks or to Knockholt. Needless to say I got off at Knockholt with 7 other brave souls, while about 20 or more other comrades travelled on to Sevonoaks for a 13 mile traipse back.

Knockholt is about 5:5 miles back to the station. When me and Nagging Sister did this around about the same time of year last year, there was snow on the ground, and we ran along the main roads. Quite an uninteresting route. All on pavements as well! But our Illustrious Leader has plotted out a very interesting, countrified, cross country way back to Pettswood.

We met at the station, everyone got into groups of 4 (cheaper train tickets that way), here is a picture of most of them that came running.



Tickets bought and it was down to the platform to wait for the train.  We do make a great crowed as we piled onto the train. Those passengers looking for a nice peaceful early Sunday morning ride home from where ever, were in for a shock!  Oh didn't I say it was early! Yup, early! 8:35 meet at the station for the 8:50 train!

The journey didn't take that long, well it wouldn't on the train! and we were soon saying out goodbyes to the Sevonoak-er's as we made our way out of the station. We all started our Garmins! As one of the other ladies pointed out, "It's funny that we all have Garmins but it takes longer on some to find satellites. Well today my Garmin wasn't playing ball. I had get going and just hope it won't be that long before it can locate them, as we really didn't want to stand around in the cold waiting.

And so to the run its self, (blimey, don't I go on!)

We started off on the road, running down towards the A21. So far exactly as me and NS did last year, but then our IL said "we are going left over the field, please watch the road as you cross". I looked across to where she had indicated, and all I can see is a farmers field. Not only that but it seems to take up the entire horizon! It's on a huge, huge hill!  Not as me and NS did last year! That way seemed to be all down hill (mostly) Still it should be interesting!

Well you all know the sort of weather we have been having recently, and the fact the water table seems to have now reached to over flow levels, so there is just no where for water to run away! Imagine that, and the farmers ploughing their fields, you all got that? Good, now add in a few ramblers stirring up the muddy paths, and we are now somewhere to what it was actually like to run, squelch, slip, slide and slurp our way o'er fields and paths!

Mud, glorious mud! A Pig in Poo, couldn't have been more happier than to have been running along with us! But as I said, it made for a very interesting route. The scenery was stunning, the fresh air was to die for, the company was just perfect! I had all of this spectacular view, enjoying every second of it on a slight hangover after celebrating my old school pals 50th birthday with her!  Us PWR's are made of stern stuff!

That was the theme of the off road sections of our run. Up slippy muddy hills, and down them.  When I got up the first hill I checked my Garmin, and noticed it had stopped! I was not happy! Oh well, I shall re-start it from here, and see how much I have missed by looking at others geeky stats later! As I was running up the hill, I couldn't help thinking that the contractors of the road builders below had lifted up the 'carpet of Kent' and swept all the excess dirt underneath it, instead of depositing of it nicely. As if anyone wouldn't notice the huge bulge in the carpet!  We took a little breather. Now, looking at my geeky stats , I can't say if this is where we saw the horses, oh I do hate it when my Garmin fails me!

Garmin re-started we ran towards the A21 and Greenstreet Green. I though from here it would be all on the big roads to  Pettswood, but it wasn't. Still more twists and turns as we went in the opposite direction to where I presumed we would be going. We took a left turn and then a right. The name on the road said 'Old Hill'. The only other Old hill I know is in Chislehurst, and its a monster hill. This hill looks like its twin brother! "Oh sh.......ooot" I said, or something like that anyway! I saw the front runners heading up, all still jogging along! I started to jog and failed. I walked up slowly to the crest of the hill!  Everyone puffing and panting, and...erm..... clearing out lungs! It really was a nasty little blighter!

But the reward (for those that ran up it) was the lovely downhill the other side. I was surprised to find out where we had jogged down to! It was Shire Lane! We cut straight across and into the next muddy section. It really was a mud fest today! We ran up towards St. Giles church and Farnborough Village.

I thought we would have been finished with the mud but the time we got through Farnborough, but Our Illustrious leader had found some more for us to play with! This was a very, very wet patch indeed. You could see the muddy bits, and then you could see the grassy bits. Obviously lets all go running through the grassy bits. What I didn't know was that the grassy bits were water logged!

We split into three groups to all head back to Pettswood at our own individual pace. Three went before us, me Singstar and Natalie went at our pace, and Illustrious lead and her friend took the back at a very leisurely walk. IL wasn't really on form today, but she lead a fantastic run for us, but now she can just point us all in the right direction and she can follow on and make her way home with her friend.

It was pavement pounding until Pettswood, and a much needed pit stop. The pub in the middle of the square is ideal. Unfortunately that was closed! We quickly our way over the railway and popped into the pub on the other side!

Train run done!

But that didn't stop us from running.  After we had our pitstop, because of our various training for halfs and full marathons we went for another 4.5 miles through our local woods and more mud!

Muddy, and Goss hill to contend with! What turnip decided to go through here? ...... oh.......wait a minute.....That would be me!! yup, thats right folks, I suggested going through the woods, up Goss hill and splish splash through more mud! I am hooked!! Cross country is kinda fun!

Geeky stats, with at least a mile missing from the train station, up hill, too! But the rest of the route is there.






No comments:

Post a Comment