Tuesday 9 August 2011

No Rioters Will Stop Us From Running!

Hello Blog lovers.

After the mindless mayhem that was happening last night, I was slightly concerned about going out running with my club today. For one thing, I didn't want to get caught up in any violence, but also I just didn't know what I would do if I see one of the neanderthals. The way they were destroying and looting and rampaging through my town!! Grrr, anyway, this is not about them!!

I was very pleased to see so many PWR's out, all ready to run their socks off! After the announcements, and group routes sorted out, we set off. I was up the front with the group leader, I knew I wouldn't be able to maintain this position, even to the first official 're-group' but it's a strategy I have developed for myself, you know, get in front, then fall back to the middle before ending up at the end. At least by now, I should be able to stay with the group the whole way!!

But after the first half mile I was still at front, and feeling pretty good. I had a good pace going, a nice rhythm and was just feeling quite comfortable! The first official 're-group' came, and we only waited for about twenty seconds, counted heads and then was off again. I was still in front! In fact I was just pulling just slightly away from the rest of the group. I remembered this part of the route from last time. Just and the end of this path is where we just stop again and regroup and then go off around the 'neat little gardens bit.

The path was longer than I remembered. I kept saying, "Its just up this bit" or "Oh yes, just after this left turn" But it was longer than I than that. I still stayed at the front. I just concentrated on the rhythm of my breathing, the pace and each foot fall. Just then I saw a car through the trees, I knew then that we had reached the end of the path!

I stopped at the bench, and the others caught up with me "We all want to know what you have had for you tea" said the group leader! I just told them I hadn't had it yet, and it would be waiting for me at home.

Not all the runners ran around the 'little nice neat gardens' section of the run, I chose not to run this section as well, as there were about 5 of us in a group now, just waiting for the others to come back. I felt I had pushed myself, and besides which, there is safety in numbers, and present climate that is a good thing!

The energetic runners came back and we set off for the run back to our meeting point. It was all on the road now. And it was all down hill. I was really enjoying today's run. Maybe it was because there were no hills, it was fairly flat. Or maybe it was because it was all on tarmac paths and pavements! Or (and this is probably right) it could be the Old Boys nagging, getting me up those hills, getting me to run 10 or so min miles! Oh how he is going gloat to read that.

I did start to lose my lead on the way back. But I checked my Garmin, and actually we had picked up the pace slightly, so the ones over taking me were really enjoying the down hill section more than I was!

All the way to the railway bridge, and then I start to flag then. There is a slight incline to the park, but I keep going. I try and try to not be at the back like I usually am. But the other group members are passing me by. When there were no more over taking me, I realised that I still wasn't the last one. The group leader had swapped roles and had become a 'sweeper' making sure that everyone that came running with us was in front of her, as one of the other ladies took charge of leading. In fact when I looked behind me, I couldn't see them! It was quite dark now, but I the street lights were all on and I still couldn't see them.

I ran on into the park and waited for the others to come. A good run today, a very good run for me in fact. And I felt really good! So today I am going to add my geeky stats.

Geeky stats,

No comments:

Post a Comment