Wednesday 3 August 2011

Mob Match: A Friendly Race!

Hello Bloggers,

Yesterday was our mob match, it was between us (The PWR's and the Orpington Road Runners) The weather was looking pretty omnious! In fact it rained cats and dogs in the morning, and it was raining just about an hour before we needed to go! And it was still so very close and humid and sticky.

The Old Boy had been 'press ganged' into a marshaling position, so we all was at the start quite early. I wanted to see if our kit secretary had bought some kit, I so wanted to run as a noticeable PWR member! And yes he did! I shall get a pic of me in it at some point.

It was a friendly grudge match, and there were quite a few people that turned up, our group 1 leader said it seems to get more and more each year! Lets hope we win with our numbers!

We all set off, the short walk out of the ground to the road, which is where the start of the race will begin. Marshalls all in place, runners all in place, the finish line all in place and tea brewing for afters!

We all set off, a total of over a hundred and fifty runners, in either bright yellow (the Orpies) or white and black (us PWR's) I was comfortable at the back. I know how these things work, they all just run at break neck speed, but I know I will burn myself out if I did that, and it really is very hot and humid now!

I was wondering which position the Old Boy had taken up as his marshalling duty. I needed to be running towards him, I didn't want to show him that I still do the walking! The pressure was on me to keep running as soon as I saw the yellow jackets of the marshalls!

I ran and ran, no stopping, well apart from the bit I went topsy turvy last Thursday, and still no sign of the Old Boy, I ran down the lane towards Botony Bay, and there I saws the silhouette of my lovely Old Boy, looking very fetching in his yellow jacket! At least now the pressure is off me I can just run and run as much as I can and take a short walking break without being seen by him!

So, trying to keep things short, by the time I was half way round I was pacing an Orpie, and we just kept each other going for a while, we chatted along the way, and then she said, "Ok, I shall let you go now" as she fell behind me. I could feel quite smug about this, but if you knew that she had only had her baby 16 weeks ago, then it really isn't that impressive, and me saying well I had my last baby 17 years ago doesn't quite sound the same!

From the half way mark, after taking over the Orpie, I was on my own, I knew there was at least one other person pehind me, so I was quite glad that I wasn't going to be last. Each marshall I pass was giving loads of encouragement, which is really what it's all about. Out there just running, and then on to the pub later to enjoy the company of your running buddies!
On to the roads now, and the last bit before I get to the rec, and this time I have to run around the boundary before getting my token!

Everyone was encouraging me, those who knew my name calling out to me to keep going, it just felt so good! I really love these sorts of occasions! Running up to the 'tunnel! I get stopped by Mr.S who informed me of my position on completion, 151, and I was not the last one!

I met up with the Old Boy at the pavilion, and he told me about his experience of being a marshall and he said "There I was, on a hot evening, near water, probably about 100% humidity, I was a gourmet feast for all those mozzies" he said. Still, he did look rather dashing in his yellow coat.

So geeky stats for you, and being blond and hot I forgot to turn off my Garmin again, so there are a couple of extra minutes to the time!


Mob Match Pwr V Orpies by moosh001 at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment