Friday 30 July 2010

Speedy Gonzalez Eat Your Heart Out!

Hi blog lovers, those of you who are still strangely glued to the antics of a crazy granny.

Today is another bike day. I do love these days. Its still a great exercise, and it still gets those muscles in the saddle bags working hard, just a less impact on the old back.

Although yesterday it was lovely to stop off at a pub and do lunch, if I carry on doing that then I will end up having to take out a mortgage to fund my keep fit regime, but I am going to do the same route, only this time without stopping!Just swing round the pub and then straight up the high street.

Another reason for this non stop bike ride is to see more or less how long it takes me to ride these 10 miles, and then I can gauge how long at the moment, it will take me to get to Brighton!

Its a lovely day, it feels warm and the sun is shining. The traffic is a little heavy in places, but I just to stay vigilante and focused and believe that all drivers are also vigilante.

Up Starts Hill again, singing my new mantra that I have borrowed from some one else "I am not a quitter, I am not a quitter" etc etc. Not many words, and the tunes fairly simple too. I must remember not to smile so much when I get to the top and head for the traffic lights!, it must be disconcerting to drivers I'm sure. And then, the lovely road down to the Royal Oak pub. Obviously, I didn't patronise this establishment, not this early in the day, mind you I hadn't a clue what the time was, but I knew it wasn't lunch time! Oh yes, I almost forgot, while I was on this lovely road, a car tooted behind me then drove on past with an arm waving out of her window, it was my lovely daughter, no doubt with my grandson in the back, and someone else, who I'm not quite sure who it was. That felt good, that my daughter actually acknowledged me and didn't get totally embarrassed by her mother on her bike, with joggers on and silver cycling helmet!

And then on through the high street. All these pubs and cafes passing me by, I was almost tempted to just stopped for a tea, but I really wanted to know how long I am in the saddle for for this particular route, so I just rode on by.

I was soon at the next town. I had decided to go further into the high street this time and take another road heading for home. I am hoping this road has a less steeper hill that Knoll Rise! Riding through the high street is a bit of a chore. The have been doing it up and some of the pavements are road level, I'm not sure if these means they will be making it a pedestrian only zone soon, or at certain times of the day, and I am trying to stay off the 'pavements' so as to not antagonise the shoppers, but car drives insist on getting so close they hear my heart beat!

The high street negotiated and now for the turning home. so far so good, oh this is so much better, why didn't I come this way yesterday! But no soon had that thought popped into my head then I saw the hill! "OH MY GOODNESS!" Yes it was a hill, a long a steep hill. I'm sure its long that that one at Knoll Rise. And there it is sweeping for ever upwards and disappearing from view as it bent to the right.

Fine, I can do this, I have my new mantra, I know that the pain won't last for ever, I know there is an end...........up there somewhere. Now just get on and do it. First gear on the big wheels, first gear on the little wheels and spin like mad, don't think about it, just get on and do it, "I am not a quitter, I am not a quitter, I am not a ................ arrrggghhhh!! I QUIT!" Yes blog lovers, I quit. I couldn't make it up the hill, about a quarter of the way up I came to a stop. I sympathetic look from a car driver from the other side of the road made me feel a bit better. It is a huge hill. No shame in walking! Not after what I have done so far. And besides, as soon as I'm on the crest I shall be straight back on the saddle.

The ride home from there was relatively easy, lovely roads to ride on, and not so much traffic this way home either. I was becoming quite thirsty and thought as I get into Pettswood I would grab a bottle of water from some where. I walked up the fairway to try and tie by bike up, but found no where. As I was virtually home anyway, I decided to just get on home, save a pound for something I got plentiful at home.

So the all important time for this route, which is 10.49 miles, door to door is 1 hour 17 minutes. So I am very impressed with my self, which makes me think that maybe yesterdays ride was quicker, and I just took longer with my lunch than I first thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment