Tuesday 20 July 2010

Phew Its Close Today!

Hi blog watchers,

What a day, feels muggy and warm, and what do I decide to do. Nope, not run, but take my bike for a spin.

Its still very much in my thoughts and desires to do the L2B bike ride, so need to expand my horizons beyond the supermarkets and add miles to the bike.

After a shower I still feel hot and sweaty, and even think maybe don't go, it looks like rain. Running in the rain is not so bad, but cycling, well its not something that I have done before! Yet that still small voice gets in my head, 'Go on get out there.'

So, armed with my keys, my bike clips, helmet, locks and money I head on out towards the pub!! I need a place to head for ok! So don't you all look at me like that. Besides its lunch time, and it will be nice to pop out for a sarnie.

I decided to tackle the shorter steeper hill on the way, rather that the longer flatter hill that Naggy Neighbour tried to make me run up yesterday. Now, I'm sure there must be a method of riding up hills, as there is running up them, but I'm blowed if know. First gear all the way, head down and singing a stupid ditty as I peddle up the hill. "Huh, two, three four, huh two three four" sung to the tune of Twinkle twinkle little star!

I remember Nagging Sister suggesting to me that I stand and ride up hills, when we were cycling through the woods, but that is just something that I can't do for some reason. Anyway made it to the top of that hill, and its fairly flat for a few more minutes, and then comes the hills again. And that silly stupid tune and the counting, as I climb the hill!

I am getting so much better at roundabouts now, making sure that the driver has at least seen me and so therefore slows down as I gingerly make my way to the 'turning right' position. An then some more flats, even down hills, just let the bike flow as I stretch out my back and neck.

Before to much longer though its the beginning of Starts Hill. Yes that's right, another hill and this one goes on and on and its fairly steep!! Cars are even in first gear........well ok its not that bad, but on a bike it looks daunting.

There it is again, the stupid singing, the counting!!! Arrgghh, people will think I am totally crazy. I will be know as the crazy all singing all riding all running old girl! But just think of the good that I am doing to my body, to my fitness levels and my state of mind! Ok, so the mind is well and truly unsavable now.

Once I'm off this road its just a very short ride up to the village and a very welcome pint of shandy and a sandwich!! 28 minutes or there abouts, non stop cycling.........nearly! Oh, why blog, why do you get me confessing! Ok I stop on Starts hill for 30 seconds, and that was it!

Pint of shandy, cheese sandwich and chatting to a very old boy (93) in the pub and then set off again.

Same route back, only this time a little quicker, 26 minutes, in total, this time non stop all the way. Well it was mainly downhills on the way home!!

I'm pleased with this ride today, but the next ride needs to be further, start to build up the miles, practice for the L2B next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment