Tuesday 30 October 2012

Happy Birthday PWR

Hello Blog Lovers.

Today we celebrate the anniversary of our running club. 6 years ago today Pettswood Runners were formed. And a quarter of the membership belonged to one family, our group 1 Illustrious leaders family to be precise. It started of with just 12 members, and now we are over 200 strong!

I was feeling a bit tired today, and I said in yesterdays blog, the dark nights do nothing for my motivation, I am just so glad that I belong to a club. It really does make you go out and meet up with your running buddies. And I know sometimes, this is the only time some of the runners do get out and go for a run, due to busy lives and, now, the dark nights.

I was of course going to stick with group 1. This is my pace. I am not going to be a Paula Radcliffe, there will be no miracle times for me crossing over the finish line in record time. I am a plodder. Just plodding along nice and steady. I was going along steady in sweeper role. I knew today that being at the back is where I would be, whether I was in sweeper role or not!

The aches in my knees seem to have all gone. I was just going to see if they come back when I start jogging. I think I much prefer my way of dealing with aches and pains. 'It hurts, so slow down or walk' 'I injured my .........., so rest up for what ever the doctor/physio says + 1 week'  I am hoping this is going to get me through all my little aches and pains, so that when I get to April, everything will be stronger, healed, not hurting, used to long distance, slimmer! Well, I am hoping to be slimmer, or should I say lighter!

Jogging along at the back, my little light shining away, alerting traffic and pedestrians alike that I am thundering down past them, I started counting. When I was listening on of the pod casts, the presenter/dj(?) said "Ok, not jog along with the beat, count, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4...." I found myself doing that, every foot fall I was counting. I seemed we we going at around 150 bpm, at least the music in my mind had that sort of rhythm.

Our route was taking us straight up Crofton Road. I wasn't looking forward to it. I was even wondering if I would make it! The bike ride is still deep in my legs! But, marathons are all about endurance, and that is what I need to build up on!

I was pleased we had a little stop at the top! Just to rest my legs, re-inflate my lungs, and general stuff like that! But it wasn't for long, we started running towards Orpington, and I knew that the next half is going to be down hill. That kept a nice half smile on my face. Ok not on my face, but I was thinking of smiling!

We turned left down Addlington Raod, and our Illustrious leader said,
"For those who want a bit of a speedier session, turn right and go around the green, and for those that want a more steady pace just turn left and foll me"
There was just one solitary brave person running out by herself to tackle the green. I think she must have done quite a bit of speedy session there as she caught up with us just where we needed to be! Good timing Chris!

I was still at the back all the way down to the off license. We had another little stop as our IL said,
"Right, now you can go as fast as you like all the way back, just dont change the route." And with that we we off again.  I was still at the back, sweeping, and IL was also helping sweep, as everyone know knew the way home.

She also reminded us that as it was PWR's 6 birthday, then someone was bringing cakes! I am sure our pace picked up a little more as we all headed back to our start point! There is one that that our club members can do,  just as good as getting p.b's medals for half/full marathons, etc, and that is bake!

This thought seemed to have a bit of a positive effect for me. I plodded along at a nice steady pace, plus we really didn't spread out that much, we were fairly well grouped. so much so that when I got to Crossways, although I thought I would not do the sprint finishes, I just wanted to, I managed to sprint and I passed all of our group 1 today! Now that is a first! Thanks Ilustrious Leader, a great run today.

My geeky stats for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment