Sunday 14 October 2012

Pettswood 10k Race.

Hello blog lovers.

Today was the day of my clubs annual 10k race, and as such, I wasn't running today, but I was marshaling!

This is a great way for me to give something back to the club for all the encouragement and support and friendships for the last year. And to be able to support and cheer on all other runners that come here to run through our woods, the people who want to be first, or to get PB's to those that are just doing their first ever 10k race!

I arrived at Willet Way recreation ground to find a hive of activity, all gazebos erected and tapes and and sound systems in place. All the was left for me to do was to track down my leader and grab a cuppa for me and Hitchy, she was here on her first marshaling duties for our club.

The weather couldn't be more perfect! The sun was out, it was warm. It was such a pity that we had tons of rain before making the going through the woods, shall we say, challenging. But reading the reviews so far on Runners World, mud is good! We were all introduced to our team,  found out who was who, and swapped phone numbers . I was designated First Aider for our team 4, so I really had to have phone numbers to make sure who was asking for first aid. 

We made our way through to our section of the 10k route. We were from the 6.5 k mark, just at the memorial. A great position. The memorial is in a clearing, on a great down hill section of the route. I can remember, when I ran this race, as being a very welcome relief. We highlighted all the hazards, taped of the routes where we don't want our runners to go down, and then got into our positions!

Looking at the next marshal
I was quite excited. I kept looking at my watch, estimating when the first of the elites would be through! There were some horse riders coming through, and I told them politely that there would be some runners heading their way shortly. Only one person was a bit curt about it, the others said, "Thanks for the warming, we shall change our route and go this way" as they headed, steered, (what do you do to a horse when you change directions) their horses, their huge horses to the right, but they had arrived just at the end of the race.


Looking out for the runners
I again checked my watch, any second now! Then there he was, the first runner! looking a little muddy around the legs, but going very strong, and looking like he was on a mission. I was cheering and clapping him from when I saw him to when he went past me, to be met by the next cheering marshal.

From then on there were runners coming along every few minutes. It was a great joy to see them coming through the path, some looking totally focused on the job in hand and some smiling, and some looking totally relieved that there was a slight down hill section to look forward to!

Right up until the last runner marshals came along, keeping two very happy joggers company, we kept up our cheering and clapping! I just love it, this is the second year that I have been able to give back just a little something to the club and I cant wait to do it again!

Fantastic day, fantastic weather, fantastic runners, and fantastic woods to be running through, what else could you possible want from a Sunday morning in October!

I'm sure you can go on to the Runners World site to read the reviews of our race. So far as I write this, its been a positive response, and they all want to come back and do it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment