Thursday 1 November 2012

Bloomin Hard Work!

Hello Blog lovers.

Today I tried to do the interval running suggested in Wednesday, week 6 of my training programme! Bloomin heck! Was that difficult or what! I am just not very good that this sort of training! I am going to have to work really hard just to even enjoy doing this. I am sure there is a reason why this is in the training programme! But while I was doing it all I could think of is "I am not going to be running this fast in the marathon, so why?"

But I kept it up, for two lots of ten minute faster than normal pace runs. with five minutes jogs either side of those, ending with a twenty minute jog. Don't it sound easy when you see it written down! But actually doing it, cor blimey! It just shows how lazy I am, and how much I love being in my little comfort zone. The Old Boy was with me, trying to keep me going. I stopped running about a minute before I was due to do the 5 minute jog, and even then I walked for 2 minutes instead of jogged the whole 5 minutes.
"It's no good writing up your own training plan, if you are following this one" Said the OB. I know he is right, but, cor blimey, its hard!

He decided to take out the routine of the route, just so that I am not sure where the five minutes jog starts and where the 10 minute run finishes! I was going to do the usual Turpington Lane route, but the OB told me to keep running up to the top of the road. It worked. I wasn't sure how many minutes it was to get to certain points on this route. I tried to keep going as much as I could. I checked My Garmin. Top of the road, just after we turned left I need to be doing the next 10 minute running session. I was not looking forward to it.

I want to keep my jogging and running fun, but I know that to do the London Marathon in a 'ok'ish' then I am going to have to put in some hard work. Something that I have never really enjoyed doing, too lazy!  I started off my 24 week training in week 6, I should really be in week 7, but I wanted to stick with the week 6 rota, just running for 10 minutes each time for the running sections. I thought I would be able to manage that.

After I run the first of the faster pace sections I was so pleased that there is only one more to do! Even though I have the last 20 minute jogging to finish. I had a stitch, and I was trying to keep my breathing under control, not do all the panting lark. Nice and steady breathing. It was all a lot to try and keep in my head. Breath, run, keep an eye on time, stop whinging! 

I checked my Garmin, time for the next 10 minute run.
"When is the next bit of faster pace" The Old Boy said,
"We're doing it now" I said as I reached his side, "This is me going a bit faster"
"Oh right, ok, well, lets go" he said and he picked up his pace a bit and kept just that little bit further in front of me. The pace was hurting me, I wanted to stop, I am sure I slowed down to my jog pace, but still looking as if I was running fast! 'A lot of effort but going nowhere' as the Old Boy said to me earlier!

I was very pleased when the 10 minutes was up. Now I can jog along at my nice and easy, Moosh pace. This is me! Comfort zone! But I know I really have to drag myself out of here, kicking, screaming and crying all the way!

There was no sprint to the finish today, and also, I had to do a 'lap of honour' around my green as I still had a couple of minutes of my jog to finish. Then it was a nice calm walk around, stretches and then come in for some fish, chips and salad dinner! Yum.

Geeky stats for you





No comments:

Post a Comment