Tuesday 23 October 2012

My Rocky Moment!

Hello blog lovers.

Now, let me ask you a question. When you saw the sub title of todays blog, did you think, "ah, she is having a rough time" or did you think, "Has she gone mountaineering" But I bet you didn't think of how I saw my rocky moment!

Well, lets start from the beginning. I have listened to my coach. I ran on Sunday, as blog readers you will know that, then I had a rest day, and today I ran for 40 mins, well it was over forty mins actually, as I ran with my running club.

Today was another first as well, (I will tell you about the other first in a minute) Singstar Jo was doing her debut Group 1 leader role today! Our Illustrious leader, was doing sweeper duties. When Jo had told us the route it sounded quite reasonable. But then when we all huddled up in our groups, she then said "Oh I forgot to say, we are doing Cardiac Hill" That made a few eyes pop out. But still, we can do it. The weather is quite warm, even though its misty and looks cold out. But in actual fact it was perfect running conditions.

We started our run. I had forgotten to 'wake up' my Garmin, and we were running along Tudor way before it finally found satellites, a whole .10 of a mile later! It could have been worse, it may not have found any at all!

We were going straight under the railway bridge then turning left and running to the off license, where we will have our first catch up. This is how I know it was .10 of a mile before my Garmin found satellites, as usually this is just bang on a mile! Then it was another turn left back over the railway bridge.

We were going to head towards Orpington.  I knew which road Singstar Jo was going to take. She was heading for the hills. I know they are only small hills, but they usually have me walking up them. But not today. I managed to get up the first hill in one go. But just as we were going for the second hill, one of our group caught her foot on some raised pavement, she came down quite heavy on her knees and hands, and then she said she did this slide through the mud!

After the shock of it, we checked her over, she was quite fine and said that she can carry on running. We are made of firms stuff in the P.W.R's. You're not a proper runner until you have ended up with dirty knees and hands!  And in the case of this particular young lady, her lovely new bright yellow top had a huge mud patch on it now!

We had a short break there, just to make sure that she was fine, then we all tackled the next short hill, before turning left. This next road leads us to Cardiac Hill. A quick catch up here before we all started the hill together.

This is my running nemesis, this used to be my cycling nemesis! I have yet to conquer this hill running up it! I took a deep breath, and then we all started running up hill! I kept my pace nice and easy, kept my strides short, I kept my breathing in check. I was running up the hill! The path narrowed, allowing only single file, two of the ladies were walking! I had to concentrate real hard, just so that I don't join them in the walking! I needed to run up here. This hill has beaten me too many times.

I managed to get to the mini roundabout. I was still running! But we were not turning left here, we were continuing to go up, up, up! We are doing the whole hill! No traffic to stop us at the round about, so I continued to run. I tried desperately not to think about what I was doing, only concentrate on running. I can see the flat bit. I remember seeing the flat bit when I rode my bike up here the very first time, and the elation I felt when I managed to ride up it non stop! Now it seems as if I am going to make it with the running as well.

The flat! I made it, I can see the front runners just ahead gathering at the end of the road for a well earned breather, and to wait for the others. I ran up to them, arms raised in the air, huge smile on my face! I had done it! I had conquered Cardiac Hill!!

The rest of the run seemed an absolute breeze from here till the end! Or was it that I was just too much into my 'Rocky Balboa' moment that I just didn't notice the rest of the run home!

Well done Singstar Jo, your debut leadership had me breaking the curse of Cardiac hill!  Bring on Summer Hill! (but, not just yet)

Geeky stats.



No comments:

Post a Comment