Tuesday 9 October 2012

Club Run - Substitute Nagging Sister

Hello Blog lovers.

Today was club run. I was looking forward to getting out this evening, after having a few lazy days of doing sweet fanny adams! Apart from eating cream doughnuts, drinking beer, and indulging in the forbidden fruits of.............the takeaways!

This evening I didn't think I would be in any sort of fit state to keep up with toddlers (if of course, for some unknown reason they would be out running this time of night) let along a group or improving runners! I volunteered my services as sweeper, if only to keep, Singstar Jo company. She is an inspiration. She ran the Royal Parks half Marathon at the weekend, in 2:34, no mean feat! and now she is out here running along doing sweeper duties with me!

Our route was given, and off we went. A nice steady pace to begin with, running up Willet Way. I was jogging along at a nice conversational pace. Me! Chatting and jogging! And, I believe, I wasn't sound to wheezy either. Even though I have a bit of a cough. I am determined not to get this cold, flu thing that is bringing everybody down. It even has its grips on Nagging Sister, she is not running this evening, nor did she do the parkrun on Saturday!

I like runs like this. I think the cycling and the running are beginning to compliment each other. Building up stamina, getting up the hills on the bike helps to keep going with the jogging. Cross training I think they call it! Now if only I could add drinking and eating cakes as part of the training, then I will be in paradise!

You will notice from the geeky stats at the end, there this is a slightly undulating route. Now I know it don't look as bad on the little graph, but when you are at the bottom of the...undulation, then it looks pretty mean! Poor Singstar Jo was trying to remain in denial of the undulations, due to her legs being coated in lead since Sunday! But it did not stop her from nagging.

I managed to do all the hills, except from the ones that were just heading up to Pettswood, on the last leg of our jog today. I started to walk.
"Come on Old Girl" said Singstar, keep going.
I looked at her, thinking about what she had achieved at the weekend, and looking up at the little, tiny, pimple of a hill and got my ass back to jogging! If she could keep going for 13 miles then I sure as cream cakes are delicious, I can keep jogging to the end of todays club run. I did walk for another couple of steps again, but she turned into Nagging Sister,
"My legs may not work as well at mo" she said, "But I can still talk, now keep going, you're nearly there"

Once at the top, in high street, it really is just a very short run to the rec. No real reason to stop running or jogging, so I just kept on going. Our illustrious leader held back at the corner to wait for the ones at the back, which was me, Singstar and one other lady. She jogged along with me, and we chatted a bit, me still be able to hold a conversation! But then it was soon ready to do my sprint.

I didn't go as fast as I normally do. That shows on the geeky stats, but it was still a sprint. I was pleased with that. I jogged on into the rec and proceeded to lead the runners in a group stretch, until Singstar and our Illustrious Leader came in.

Geeky stats.


2 comments:

  1. Good for you, I won't be at the club for a good few weeks now as I am having work for my living and teaching at Uni...will be back soon :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerry. We did miss you at running. Who else keeps us all in line but you, with your Sergeant Major tones! :-)

      Delete