Sunday 21 October 2012

Goodbye Cold Virus Hello Marathon Training!

Hello blog lovers.

Well, it's finally left me. The cold virus that is! 9 days of headaches, aches pains and snot! I managed to get out last Thursday for a short bike ride with the Old Boy, as I was feeling so much better, just not well enough to test the lungs out!

So today is the first run in nine days. As I have this little race to train for (little!!) I have decided that Sundays is going to be my long slow run days. So today, my first long run, which at the moment is only 6 miles or so, I am going to go on the easier route, with the not so steep hills of the A21.

After church, I got back, prepared the Sunday roast and veg, then...sat down with a cuppa! The weather outside is not looking good. But my run will happen. I really had to tell myself to get my ass into gear and get going, rain or not!

The Old boy had come home, and I told him of my plans, "You better get going then" he said,
"There are other joggers out there doing it"
So I went out. Long jog pants on, favourite running shoes, Garmin, hat, and bright orange cycling rain jacket! I looked like some giant carrot about to set off. I felt better about running, knowing that the Old Boy is staying in doors to finish off the Sunday roast, yum! He is a much better cook than me anyway.

Off I went. I put on another pod cast. Its a pod cast for a marathon, just so it doesn't run out of tunes before the end of my run. I ran off up the road, towards Southborough, ready for my 6 miler.  I was looking forward to it, it seemed quite a while since my last run. I  smilied as I ran up the road. How weird is that! But it really did feel good to be out running again.

I wasn't planning on any PB's, this was just to get back into my stride. Also the Old Boy has told me to alter my route slightly, and not go through the woody bit at Crofton. So that means adding on an extra little bit! Ah, so what, I am a marathon runner now! A little bit extra, easy peasy!

All the way up to the Harvester I ran. I normally took a walking break here, but I kept going. Past the houses and on to the next road. Again, if I hadn't had a walking break at the Harvesters then I would taken one here, but I kept going! I kept going to the pub on the right hand side of me. I always make myself run past this place, showing off I guess, to all the smokers sitting outside in the rain! But I kept going. I saw the sign for the mini round about. This is where I finally took my first walking break. Wow, I was pleased with that. Just come back from a bout of 'man flu' and there I was, running further than I usually did, without a break!

From here though I was back to my usual run a lot, then walk a little. As long as I kept my pace under that 13 m/mi I didn't mind. I would have prefered to have kept it at 12 m/mi, but I was not going to beat myself up about that...just yet! Now it was time for the long stretch up the A21, to the posh places.

The rain continued to come down in that soft annoying way, where its not pouring down, but you get totally soaked anyway! Misting up my glasses and causing them to steam up! Yet strangely I was still enjoying being out running! I am truly, officially crazy now.

I mean considering only a few short years ago, I hadn't actually done any running, or exercise at all, in fact, here is the first few lines from my very first (War and peace sized) blog

A Struggle to keep fit

Who knows how difficult it is to even think about starting to get fit. When you have reached my age, and that is passed forty, then you start to wonder if it is even the most dangerous thought that has ever popped into your head. After all, running after kids and pushing the vacuum around is hardly exercise, and now that I have wooden floors even that little bit has been taken away. But there it is, this thought lingering in my mind. Not only that but then someone suggests that I do a 'fun run' for charity. A fun run?! I ask myself, what on earth is fun about running. Of course I make all the excuses under the sun, like why that is probably not the most positive activity for me to do at this time in my life. But does that stop the said someone from giving me the emotional blackmail, 'Oh, but we are going to have mums picture on the tee shirts, and its for Cancer Research UK.
 How time flies. And now, here I am, looking up the A21, with still another 4 miles to cover before I get home! Brilliant, fantastic, but still crazy!!

The music kept me going, all the way up, the people out walking kept me going (thought they didn't know it), I used the people to keep me amused, I had to run past them before they got to a particular point. It kept me amused, and made the run a bit more challenging and fun. There's that word again!

Going though the posh houses is always a pleasure for me! I just love these houses! One day, when I win the lotto, who knows, I could be starting off my run from here!  I kept looking at my watch, I so wanted to keep a 12  something m/mi going. If I saw it said 13 something I just pushed a little harder until it was back in the 12's.  My chest and lungs seem to be doing well, and even my legs don't seem that tired, and I was feeling pretty good!

After the posh houses was done it was the route up to Crofton round about. I had promised the Old Boy that I wouldn't go down the back of the woods, I expect it would be a bit wet and muddy down that way anyway, so I focused on the top of the hill. That's my goal, that's my route!

Up and up I ran, (walked/run style of course) and then I took the very teeny tiny short cut, which cuts off about 50 yards or so (what that is in metric I don't know) and then it was the lovely down hill all the way, virtually, to my home. I tried to keep a good pace going here. Remembering how me and Nagging Sister ran down this way, on a club run, and we were so ahead of the group, we were positively rude for leaving them! But I know that sometimes the run gets you, and you're on a flyer and just don't realise how well you are actually doing, you get into the zone!

Well that didn't quite happen today, but I kept it going pretty well I think.  Then it was time to turn left, and start to make my way home. Another very slight incline to get up and then turn left again. Nearly home. "Just one more mile, just one more mile" I heard myself saying over the music in my ears.

I then saw a friend walking her dog, of course I had to go and say hi to her. So I did actually have a physical stop! As apposed to a walking stop. My feet were 'fizzing' Fizzing feet?, whats all that about?! But as soon as I started running again, that was all forgotten.

Just the last few roads to run. And I really kept it all together, I kept running all the way home. I even managed a very slight sprint bit up to my front door.

All done, I was quite pleased with my efforts, considering the cold thingy and everything, and then I was quite pleased with the time, and then, I was even more pleased with the time in relation to the distance!

Here is my geeky stats. And if I had taken the shorter route through the woods, I would have been on for a PB for this route, which is why I am very pleased with todays run.

I have also added a little widget thing to the side. This is going to show the miles that I have run, from today, until race day in April. It will be fun (that word again!) to see how many miles I can cover between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment