Monday 29 October 2012

Week 2 - No Rest Day Today!

Hello blog lovers.

Today I needed to get out and continue with my marathon training. This week is really the beginning. I managed to run for a few days last week, but what with my mega bike ride on Friday night, Saturday morning, I didn't do any running over the weekend. But I am sure I can be forgiven. I think we worked out that all though the Old Boys Garmin read 70 odd miles, it had stopped before we arrived home. We probably cycled around 80 to 85 miles all in all!

So today, I was going to stick with what my training plan said, and that is to jog for 40 minutes. As the clocks have gone back now, its pretty dark out there, the Old Boy has said that he will be my running buddy while I am in training! He was first to go up and get changed. I carried on sitting down watching the Simpsons!

Motivation seems to hibernate in these dark nights, and the rain that has started has made sure it stays there! So it was with a real effort that I went up stairs to get changed.  Since my bike ride I seemed to have developed this ache in the back of my knee. I'm not sure if it is because I had brought my saddle up a tad more and have actually worked muscles that should have been working all the time, or if in fact I have over stretched this a little. I will have to seek advice on this. I still thought that I would be able to do just what was required of me today.

I got ready and me and the OB went out. I was even looking forward to it, in some strange way. The rain had just finished, which I was very pleased about, but of course there  were puddles and wet pavements to run on now. Still, it makes for an interesting run, leaping like a ballerina over puddles. That should stretch out the old legs a bit!

The achyness in my right knee wasn't bothering me at all, which I thought was very strange, but I did develop another little achyness in my other knee! and this was right at the front of the knee, and I could feel it every time I landed on it.

 managed to run all the way to Magpiehall Lane this evening, from Greenway that is! I Stopped for a few moments breath and to give my knee just a little breather too. I really don't get all that 'no pain, no gain' business. To me, pain is to let you know that you are or have done something that needs addressing! Well, I was addressing the little ache and I gave it a break, simples, surely?

I stopped another couple of times as well on our way home, as we ran back down Southborough Lane. I told the Old Boy to continue to go to top Oxhawth. I wanted to make sure that I ran the full 40 minutes as suggested in my training plans. And I know that I have done this route in less than that. So my idea is to just swing left instead of going up Faringdon, just to add a few more minutes onto the run.

I had forgotten to let the OB know of the left turn and had to call him to follow me! I wasn't over doing this, I felt good, apart from the little achys in the knees. The Old Boy thinks I should start running for an hour each time, but I am going to stick to plans, and try to follow to the letter, with maybe a bit of cross training on the bikes on the nicer evenings. And nice pleasure rides on Saturdays.

I also made sure that I didn't sprint up the last bit. I know I could have done, but I just don't want to do any harm or damage to my knees, I was feeling good and I intend things to stay that way.

Geeky stats.



No comments:

Post a Comment