Thursday 19 January 2017

Double Thursday! - Cruising For A Bruising!

Hello all!
Trish, me, Diane, Amy and Tracy

It's double day!  It's blimmin freezing! But I'm out here doing it!  How the heck I do it I don't know!  All those years ago of being a couch potato and now look at me!  Out in the freezing cold running!  I tell you, I didn't think it was possible!  I didn't think I would keep it up when way back in 2008 when me an my sister started training to do a 5k Race for Life in memory of our mum.  Little did I know then, that day, the day of the race when all 20 of us, dressed in pink wigs and tee shirts with pictures of my mum on them, when we WALKED the whole way round singing! Little did I know then that I would start the process of me becoming a runner!  I really have amazed myself!  Ok, so I am not the fastest runner in the club, nor will I ever get further that group 2, but I am still out here running!  I am not a 'fair weather' runner either!  Last Sunday proved that!  Or it proved that I am totally crazy!  I think you do need to be a 'off balance' to make yourself come out on freezing cold, dark winter nights to run around a flood lit track.........after running and falling over in the woods in the morning!

So let me begin......Oh and I know I still have to write up about yesterdays run with Tracy too.......So, this morning I met up with all the other Thursday morning runners and after a chat we split into our group!  In my group there were more than usual!  Trish and Amy were both coming back from injury, Dianne, also was with us.  She had a nasty fall at club run on Tuesday and had grazed hands and knees! But she was here!  Also Tracy and J.J. came along!  A nice group of ladies!

I had chosen the 3 mile route to do, it's a doable route for the time we have and also a nice gentle ease back into running for the ones recovering from injuries.  The floor of the woods was like running over cobble stones, we were all having to keep an eye out for each other, call out when there is roots or rocks, or more 'cobble stone' effect floor!  It took a while for me to get warmed up, the incline up towards Orpington Road really does help in that department!  I like to go that way round the Woody loop though, get the incline out of the way before having the lovely flat and down hills that I like so much!

I was running along chatting to Diane, and we got to the top of the woods and bear left to run along the path there.  I looked behind me and I couldn't see Tracy or J.J.!  I realised then that I should be taking it a bit more easier!  Running through the woods is a lot more harder than running on paths or track!  Plus we had been running up hill too!  From that point I made sure that I checked behind me more regularly!  Everybody ran really well, looking out for everyone else too, calling out roots, bricks or whatever was liable to cause a trip!

I made sure of choosing the most flatish path possible, avoiding the cobblestone parts of the paths.  There was one particularly wide cobble stoned path, which was also a bit sticky too.  I picked my way around the side, trying to find a safe route for the girls, there was a root or branch or something which was slightly raised up.  I tried to step over it without slipping with the other foot. I caught my toe underneath it and fell!  Splat!  My left knee and right hand took most of the force!  I am left with a bruise on my knee and a bruise on my thumb!  It wasn't as if I was running fast, just cruising along , picking my way over the big frozen mud bath! Oh well, I havent fallen over for a while, I think I would rather fall in the woods than out on the pavements! After a few expletives and the obligatory rubbing of the sore kneww (that really does make it better by the way) we continued our run!  And it was the up hill bit too!

We made our way past the school and to Botany Bay Lane.  Now for the sweeties bit!  The down hill all the way to to river!  My leg was throbbing a bit, and stinging! I felt like a kid again!  You know when you were a kid and fell over and grazed your knees!  That stinging feeling really makes you want to rub it better!

The little uphill bit to the rail lines didn't beat me this time!  I just went for it!  From this point all the little undulations are going to be run up, just to get up there in quick time!  Little short hills, just get up them!

We were soon back to Dog Poo Ally and back running towards the rec!  I had a good run!  It was nice.....cold......sore.....but really nice!  I think everyone else had a great time too by the look on their faces!

Trish, J.J. Diane, Amy and Tracy


Geeky stats.



Track Thursday!

I was working quite late this evening.  I was even thinking that I might not make it to track!  Fortunately I was relieved from duties in time to get there for the start!  I even gained a new nickname....Dina.......as in Dina Asher Smith.......who trains at this very track!  I think that maybe I am for Dina Fatter Width......I expect I am a little wider and heavier .....and I know a lot slower that Dina (she says laughing at her own joke)  I was very pleased that I had made the start as PhysioMiketheMod said "Come along Dina"  

The session sounded like a tough one, I was so glad I wasn't having to do this by myself around the streets!  The thing about training with the the Tracksters is the encouragement you get from them.  If I was by myself I know I would be useless, I wouldn't push as hard, or I may even over do the first bit, the tempo run!  PhysyioMiketheMod had explained what a tempo run is, is a run that after the allocated time you finish ready to do the session!  Not keeling over with your hands on your knees wishing to go home!  Well I know I can do that!  It's the session that I will have to work hard at!  

I knuckled down to the tempo run, we all started off together, but soon we all spread out, the speedsters pulling away, I settled in to my pace!  I know they will be overtaking me soon!  Usually when I am starting my second lap the first of the speedsters will be passing by!  Now you would think this is demoralising, but it is so far from that, I just can explain!  I guess if your were in a race then it would be, a bit like Eddie the Eagle always coming last on his ski jumps!  But he was an inspiration anyway, always coming back each year!  But being lapped  when we are training is good, because of the 'Come on Old Girl, you're doing well"  of "Keep going"  and I do believe there was a "Cake on Saturday" from Steven!  Now there is encouragement for a runner!

For 12 mins we ran our tempo run and the 12 mins, for me, finished right at the start line!  Perfect pacing, according to PhysioMikeTheMod! Good brownie points for me!  As soon as everyone was back at the start, we had a couple more minutes rest and then straight into the session. For the speedsters it was 2 and half times round the track, 90 secs rest x 5, for the slower runners it was twice around with 90 secs x 5.  Even writing it down it looks easy, but it really isn't.  It's a tough session, and when you are injured, with the most hugest bruise on your knee, a massive bruise on your thumb and of course shock from falling, then it is double hard!  But like a trouper I did what I could!

PhysioMikeTheMod took a picture of the Thursday crew.....an action shot.......and guess who is at the front there, that first blur, and it looks like there is 'air' as well.......It's me!!


I think I managed three reps with one lap done very slowly!   I still got a long way to go to be as fit as I was when I did my first marathon!  I am hoping to get there, no.....I will get there!  And lighter too! But it really was a great session!  Thanks Mike!  I am sure these sessions are doing me tons of good, especially for my running mojo! 

Geeky stats for you all!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete