Wednesday 5 October 2016

Helping With The Homework!

Hello blog lovers.

Helping with the homework, that's what I call it.  Not sure what Tracy would call it!  But I am here to help.  I heard on Saturday, that she felt right back into the swing of things and that she really found it easy and she could have gone running for longer! Hmmm.  That is telling me that she wants a challenge.  She wants to get back to the fitness that she had before the summer holidays.  In actual fact, the fitness level doest just disappear over night like that, but you do still need to get out at least once a week.  Muscle memory, I think that was a phrase I heard or read somewhere recently!  And I think that is what she has right there!

All that was needed is to give her muscles a gentle reminder!  So I collected her and we on to Normans park.  We are going to be doing 3 minutes of running and 3 minutes of walking. Exactly what we were doing on Saturday? Well yes of course, this is the homework that we set!  But I added a little extra kick just to get not only her muscles to remember, but the whole of her body remember, what fun and fitness she felt just before those summer holidays! So for the last 30 seconds of the first run section we will just push it a little bit harder, run faster than we have been,  just for that last 30 seconds.  "Come on Tracy, you can do this" I said to her.  I could feel her eyes burning on my back!  But that's ok,  the daggers will come out on the next rep!  I tell you, Naggy Neighbour will be proud of me!

Of course we didn't start running until we had a bit of a warm up walk.  Just a brisk walk, a few high knees and butt kicks to the place where we shall start our running!  I could have done the whole drills thing first with her, just me and her in the middle of the park doing the ministry of silly walks, but I spared her that,  the looks and the daggers I will get from her will soon come, thick and fast!  She's my mate, I can get away with it! The first walking section came and a deep breath came from her!  She did well on that first speedy bit.  But it doesn't stop there.  The last 30 seconds of our walking will be done at a power walk speed!

The next running section it was the last 45 seconds of our 3 mins of running that was to be done a a slightly faster pace.  Now I could fee the daggers coming out.  "That's it Tracy, you're doing it" I encouraged her!  I don't think she thought it was encouragement, but nagging!  The next run of course I forgot how many we had done already, and I asked her if it was the third of fourth and she gave me the wrong one, and we ended up doing 45 seconds again!  Ooo such a wicked woman I am, because that meant we were only going to do the one 30 second speedy bit! All the others are now 45!  On this fourth rep of running, when we got to the 45 second speedy bit Tracy really went for it!  Picked it up a gear, put the foot on the gas and went for it!  Still, not 100%, but it doesn't need to be.  Just up one gear is all that is needed to give a good workout!  Interval running!  It works!

The last run section was a good un.  I am sure Tracy will agree!  Because for the last 1 minute of it we will be doing interval running, we will be running just a tad faster than we were doing!  Of course Tracy, by now came up with a plan, to run really slow to begin with!  Oh my, those daggers in my back are coming fast and furious now!  I now know exactly what Naggy feels when she runs with me!  But the best bit of all is when it's all done!  "Done it" says Tracy and then that big smile spreads across her face!  "Thanks mate" she says to me!

A good work out can do so much more than just make your body fit, it can affect your mood and your spirit!  Sometimes we just need others to kick our ass to get out there and do it......and time.......no work........good weather......well, maybe not too fussed about the weather!

Homework done, now she has to do one more before Saturday! Easy, right!?

Geeky stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment