Saturday 12 March 2016

Beginners Week 3

Hello blog lovers.

Already we are in week 3 of Spring 2016 beginners course!  With 3 minutes running and 3 minutes walking, it's going to be fun!  Of course it's totally hard work, but then getting fit is not the easiest thing to do, getting unfit is the most easiest, delicious, warm and comfy thing to do!  So who turned up today?  Well it seemed like everyone did!  I know there are a couple of people away on holidays, and even ZippySherry is having to do some work today!  But there was still some great help!  CoachHels was there to do the drills.  It's good to show the beginners exactly who we have in our club.  DiscoRich was there too, he is also a coach!  Plus we had some club members Diane and Helen, and I'm not sure if I have missed anyone!

I got there early with my pen and paper, just in case there were any new people to come along.  I may have looked 'professional with the smart lillac folder, but inside was just plain paper!  I should really have collected the forms from Sherry last week!  We did have a new comer too, so it was just as well!  I put out the cones around the field and into the centre, and then spoke to the group!  It still scares me to pieces 'addressing the masses' and I nearly fluffed up when almost asked CoachHels to start the warm up drills before we walked the route first!  I don't think anyone noticed!

The ground was still soft in places, especially the top left hand corner as I think that is the low spot and the water seems to head to there!  I could hear people doing the usual 'eww' as they squidged their way around.  Ahh, the memories!  I remembered I used to avoid the woods, the mud and squidgyness of parks like the plague!  But now, running through the woods is a joy, if there happens to be a muddy puddle in the way then so be it, it won't be stopping me!  Coming back from the woods, splattered in mud up to your knees is most satisfying feeling ever!  I feel sure that some of our beginners will soon be in the mud fest lovers club!

CoachHels started the running section.  The first of our 3 minutes of running!  The faces on our 'probies' comprised of fear, expectations, determination but  mainly smiles!  As long as you smile you just can't have a negative thought in your head.  Knowing that you are doing something that is ultimately going to give you an active healthy lifestyle is very pleasing, and just makes you smile all the time!

After the third three minutes of running, I was chatting to some of the runners, (because that is what each and everyone is!) I was pleased to hear things like, "That's not as bad as I thought it was going to be" and "I am surprised that I kept up the running" and also "My wife, she is running so much better"  Brilliant.  But also even though one person had to walk through some of the running sections to hear her say "I am not giving up, I shall continue with this session today" after her calf started hurting just swelled my heart!  And she was right to walk!  There is no way that you should run through pain!  Especially if you are just starting out.  You get to know what your body is doing only after a good few months of continued running.  You know the difference between the 'good pain' and the 'bad pain'.  So until that time of learning has been achieved walk, walk with pride!  And encourage those who are walking too!

Another very nice comment in today's session was "You are all so very friendly, everyone is just so helpful to the very faster people to the very slower people"  And that is exactly what we are like in our club.  A very warm accommodating bunch of people who all just like to run together!  We have enough groups now to make everyone feel welcome and find their pace.  I feel sure that some of our runners here today will be signing up to become members!

The last 3 minutes of running done with a surprised "Wow! have we finished?" coming from some of the runners today!  All that was left to do was to do some stretching out and more encouragement, from me.  I just hoped I had remembered to do everything as CoachHels and DiscoRich had to shoot off early because of a meeting!  I packed up the cones and then drove off to the meeting.

So Geeky stats for week three!





So about that meeting.  We are very concious of health and safety in our club and our numbers are swelling all the time.  We want to keep our members safe and Petts Wood Runners a super friendly and simply the best club in Kent, (I feel sure we will bag that title!)  We strive to keep our club open to people of all abilities from running 12;30 min mile to running sub 7 min miles!  So all the leaders had a meeting to make sure that we are all working from the 'same page'  (Don't you just love it when you can get a 'posh' cliche in ya blog!)  Making suggestions to how we can keep a brilliant standard up making us the most desirable club around!

See, look!  Keeping you runnin, keeping you safe, keeping it fun!

Just some of our leaders and Coaches



No comments:

Post a Comment