Tuesday 6 November 2012

Time To Give Back!

Hello blog lovers.

I had another rest day yesterday, well, it was firework night and we had a little firework party at our church. I could have gone for a run after but I thought a day rest is as good as exercise as well. My legs and my ankle and heels were still quite sore yesterday.

Today however I noticed on my running clubs facebook page that one of our coaches was in need of a couple of volunteers to help out with the beginners group. Just to help them jog for 8 minutes, walk for 1 and do that four times.  It doesn't sound a lot does it. But when you actually do jog along to it, its quite something. For a beginner this is quite an achievement! After only 3 weeks to be able to jog along for four lots of 8 minutes intervals is brilliant.

I wanted to give something back to my club, who over these last two years have given me encouragement, support, friends and just a fantastic feeling of belonging to the best running group ever!  I wanted to be able to help others achieve their goals. So I volunteered. Singstar Jo also volunteered to help out. All that was an hour before my normal club run!

I felt I could do it though. And if I really felt as though I couldn't make it then I would forgo my group 1 run today. Having run for 6 and half miles in the past few days though, I dudn't think I would be going for an early shower today!

I met up with Kit Man Mike and his beginners group. There were only 5 of them today. A nice select group. But one of the ladies had an injury. After we started jogging along she had to pull out of the interval jogging and Kit man Mike, who happens to be our physio as well, help her with her injury. That left me and Singstar Jo to carry on with the four other beginners, to complete a loop.

I was very impressed with the group, they were all doing so well, and only after 3 weeks with the beginners group! I know they are given 'homework' that they have to complete during the week, which will help with their fitness.

We completed the lap and got back to Kitman Mike, the Singstar Jo and me had to go along to our meeting place to start our group 1 run!  Singstar Jo is in fact our leader today. I bet she is so pleased that Cardiac Hill was not n her plans today!

We got to our meeting point. Singstar Jo ran from Little Thrift, I drove my car, well, I would only have had to walk all that way back to pick it up otherwise! Our route today was down Southborough Lane, a little lollipop at the end near the Harvester, and then back up again.

We started of nice and steady. It was a very select group 1 today, only 5 of us in todays jog. It seems as if group 2's ranks has somewhat swollen as group 1 members merge into group 2. We were chatting away as we were jogging along, my legs seemed to feel a lot looser than they were earlier today. We didn't have a stop until we reached the Harvester. By this time though, I needed to 'go powder my nose' So I excused my self from doing the lollipop and let the others follow our leader Singstar Jo do continue to do the little loop.

By the time I came out I was beginning to cool down a bit, so I just jogged up to where they would be popping out just so that I can stay warm. We then continued our run back up Southborough.  I think I had managed to do this quite well, considering that I had done the beginners group a little earlier! I ran up most of the hill. I did have a little walk, but I soon caught up with them again.  Well, I think Singstar Jo was going very easy on the group as she was feeling it from the beginners as well.

I still had a little bit left over to do a sprint up Crossways, and not only that but some of group 2 merged into our group and I kept pace with them as well as overtook them towards the end of the run! I really had to push it extra hard to even catch up to Sherry mind! She must have been going some as well!

So there are two lots of geeky stats to look at today, the first one is me helping out at the beginners group, complete with the lap I took in the car to get to the meeting place, and the second is our group 1 run. And Jo, thanks so very much for not adding in hills today! I don't think I would have done so well if you had.


Beginners Geeky Stats



Group 1 Run Geeky Stats.


No comments:

Post a Comment