Sunday 4 November 2012

Pressure Cooker Run!

Hello Blog lovers,

What an absolutely awful morning it was! The rain came down in bucket loads. It stopped the Old Boy from going on a bike ride. He is like me, enjoys riding the bikes but not in the rain! It meant that the Old Boy came along with me for a long run instead.

My training plan for today said to run for 70 mins. Well that for me is just about 10k. But we had a dilemma! As OB was off on this Sunday, (he usually works), he really fancied a nice Sunday roast. Now the piece of beef we have said that it would take one hour 25 minutes to cook! It should be just about perfect timing if we like it well done. But we like our beef medium rare. We  had a bit of pressure to get back home before it became well done!

I don't like pressure! I like a challenge, which is different in my books. My challenge in 2008 was to do a Race for life, I did it, along with 20 family members, and we walked it! In 2010 I wanted to RUN a race for life, so I did it, with about a couple of other ladies. Also in 2010 I wanted to run a 10k. All of which I achieved, at my own pace, my own style. This year I again did a 10k race, (even though I didn't even get my tee shirt to prove it!, or even a mention in a finishers list!)

For next year I had to have another challenge. What better one than the Virgin London Marathon. But that will be done at my pace, my style, no pressure on me, I only want to finish! But it would be good if I finish under ......???.....hours. I have a time in mind, but I shall keep that for now.

So a pressure cooker run today! But at least the rain has stop, I think I would be really demoralised if the rain had been lashing down as it was this morning! I told the Old Boy the route that we would be taking, but just to make sure of getting home in time for dinner we cut down Holbrook and Magpiehall Lane to get to the A21.

I was doing ok going up Magpiehall Lane, I was at a steady pace, but then my laziness kicks in, and my legs began to feel tight, and all the other excuses I could think of came into mind and I stopped running for a short while.

I think wearing my old neutral running shoes yesterday, and the combination of the slippy sticky soft grassy route may have affected my legs and heels. I remember when I first started to run in my old Mizuno neutrals my heels did hurt, which prompted me to get some heel inserts to cushion my landings. I know I only  three miles in them yesterday, but do you think this could have had such an impact on my muscles today?

I was feeling quite confident, and I know that I am getting stronger and fitter. In my head I feel as if I could go on an on. I just have to get my head to over rule my body, to shut down the aches and pains messages reaching the brain cell. Then I could run and run!  People say to me that I can do it, I can run for 3 miles non stop. None of that walking malarkey. I just wish I could convince my body to play ball!

The Old Boy is helping me to eat on the run. A packet of Haribos to help with short bursts of energy. When I am running its usually with my mouth opened and praying that I don't .....excuse me people, .....that I don't snot all over the place! It amazes me where all that stuff comes from!! Yuck!

Running is not the most glamorous sport in the world, but then most sport where you exert yourself isn't really. Well, unless you are like Nagging Sister and even another young lady at our running club, they have full make up on, from eyeshadow and mascara to Lippy and lip liner!! Why?

Going through the posh houses in the night is just lovely! The way each house lights up their houses is quite something, down lighters, up lights, trees and bushes all lit up, statures all lit up. It really is lovely. I am looking forward to running through here in December, I wonder if they all put on displays of Christmas lights?!

Just a little further now. I was surprised how far we had ran. I thought that by nipping down Holbrook we would cut off a mile. In my mind I should be on about nearly 4 miles by the time I got to the other side of the posh houses. but my Garmin was telling me that I had done nearly 5. This was going to be a 10k run. Even though my training plan said that I had to run for 70 minutes today, we only wanted to run for 50 minutes to get back to sort out dinner!

I was hoping it wasn't going to be well done! I could always have sent the OB on ahead if I felt I was taking too long. But he kept with me. Maybe he put me under psychological pressure to get me to move fast! Mmm now I hadn't thought of that!

It was nice getting on to our estate. Knowing there was just half a mile to go! I was feeling quite warm, not overly warm, but I know I have a pretty pink puffy sweaty face! I know I have worked hard today.

From Crescent Drive just as we came off Shepperton the Old Boy said "Ok, now its non stop all the way home from here"
I nearly made it. Just one more little breather, catch my breath again and then it was jogging all the way home!

Geeky stats for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment