Sunday 30 January 2011

What If I kept On Running?

Hi blog readers.

Well today I went out running. It seems to be an age since I last did any sort of running, and my goal that I set my self this month is most certainly not going to be achieved!

After church I threw in some washing, and a quick clean up of the kitchen before I got changed to go running. I texted Naggy to see if she was coming, but she had already made arrangements to go to a friends house, but as she told me she was going to be running first thing this morning, there was no need to tell her off for not running today.

As it was a solo run I got my toonz plugged into my ears. The new earphones are much better than the 'over the head' ones that I have been using, and it cut off all the outside world, so it was just me and my run. Oh don't worry, I make sure I am very vigilante when crossing roads, always stop and look, never just run out, not when I have my earphones in.

It was quite cold out, and it took my breath away, but I knew I would soon warm up. I have noticed my breathing is all over the place again. The cycling is good, and it gives you a good work out, without all the impact on your joints, but the running is so much harder. Hollingworth Hill was a struggle today, I know I have ran up here in one go before, but today I just couldn't manage it, but I made sure I only stopped for about 5 steps, took a deep breath and carried on.

I tried and tried to not stop but I just couldn't do it. The Old Boy and Naggy tell me that its all in my head, in fact they both sat at my table once a discussed me, while I was sat there with them and how its all in my head that I can't get the whole way round. I don't know what it is, but the jogging/walking thing has stuck in my head and that, at the moment is how I am getting around these routes.

I was soon into Petts wood, I like to run pass the Daylight Inn, showing off to all those unhealthy smokers outside, but today I couldn't even manage that, I did have one of my mini challenges before then, i.e. I was 'racing' a walker, and I needed to get passed him before he got to the parked car, (which I am pleased to say I did) but that did puff me out before I got to the pub. I was quite relieved that there was no smokers outside today, its not a good advert for getting fit to see a jogger walking along looking exhausted!

From the Pub I ran to the walk over bridge, and walked over the bridge! Usually there are people on here when I get to here, which is why I generally walk over, but today there wasn't, but I still walked. Lazy mare!! I gave myself a telling off and then carried on running, to the main road and crossed over to head down Southborough Lane.

I like running down here, I seem to pick up speed, or it may just 'feel' like it, but running down hill really gives you an ego boost and makes you feel like a proper runner! Another stop or two before I get to the second Oxhawth, with a firm telling off, and even a little whimper that I just can't run the whole way. Pathetic, I know! But running down Oxhawth composing myself, a wet face, tears probably, but also because it was cold and it always gets my eyes watering, determined to get to the beginning of the hill before I even think about stopping again, if I even do stop! But then a car stopped and caught my eye. It was Naggy herself.

"Oh, you're running already" she says to me, and then promptly gets a toot from the car behind. She stopped in the middle of the road! She pulled over and I went over for a quick chat. "How you doing so far" she asked, "Not too bad" I said as I looked at the Garmin, "Oh that is pretty good" she said as she noticed the time, I stopped the Garmin after about a minute of chatting to her, and we caught up on stuff that happened over the past couple of days. Then I found out that she never actually went running this morning, she was doing what I am going to do as soon as I finished my run, housework! I was cooling down pretty quickly chatting to Naggy, and my garmin had thought I had gone to sleep altogether as it wanted to 'power down'.

So after a few more minutes we said our goodbyes and I started my Garmin again and tried to run Oh my goodness I really did cool down, my legs had stiffened up, I was moving like I was an eighty year old!! Why didn't I keep moving at least while I was chatting to her, bending knees, or stretching, or in fact, just run on with a quick wave. but you know what women are like! Love to chat, especially me! Well, you can tell by my blogs. I kept trying to move a little quicker, but my legs just refused to go any faster, I needed to warm up again! I decided I would use this last little incline to push hard and get myself warmed up again, before getting to the 'Road That I dare Not Stop On'

I got to the top and headed on down, my legs were warming up again and I could move a little better. Now, concentrate Old Girl, "And get your ass down this road". I ran as fast as I dare, I knew I wasn't allowing myself to stop on this part of the route, I knew that there was still just over about a quarter of a mile to go and I didn't want to burn myself out.

All the way now, I was totally focused on getting home, I picked up some speed just before I turned onto my road (I am getting braver) and just run like mad down the road, up my path and stopped the Garmin (officially) "Blimey Old Girl" I thought, "If you didn't stop for a chin wag...."

Well who knows eh? Maybe I would have been slower on the non stop road, or maybe not, but I totally blame Naggy for stopping me..........and me...... as I have always said, I am one of lifes lazy people, any excuse really and I will stop! Got to get tough on me. And besides, there was so much to talk about, couldn't have done that all by text or facebook chat!

So geeky stats, and you will notice the elapsed time and the moving time etc, so you can see how long me and Naggy chatted for!

No comments:

Post a Comment