Saturday 8 January 2011

New Bike For Old Boy!

Hello blogers,

Today was quite an exciting day in the 'Olds' household. We picked up the Old boys new bike today. Its a very nice bike and the man sorted out the right height for the saddle for him, we paid up the rest of the deposit and we were off!

The old boy seemed very keen to give it a right good first test run, and said that we were going up hill from where we bought the bike. Yup, that's right up hill. But with all of my training so far, this shouldn't be no problem. I will no doubt have to wait for the Old Boy, (I think he has bitten off more than he can chew!) and then probably just have a gentle ride around on the flats somewhere!

Did this happen?! Oh no! The Old boy looked bloomin marvelous on his super douper 24 speed, lock out suspension hybrid bike! I was struggling to keep up with him. In fact I did say that we hadn't had breakfast (we got up pretty late!) so how about we stop for a cuppa, a bit of toast somewhere and then think of a route to test the bike as we head on home. Thankfully he agreed and we stopped off at Chislehurst Caves for tea and toast!

My Garmin said that we had rode for 1.70 miles from the shop to there, I remembered to stop the timer (eventually) as we went into the shop. It felt good to have a bit of toast, even though it was actually lunch time. The Old boy was very enthusiastic with his ride so far and said that he wants to do ten miles today. So over our cuppa he told us where we were going! Up hill towards Chislehurst!

I I could show you the elevation of the hill that he wants to ride up I would. Its a killer hill! "Just keep in low gear babe" he says as if its me that has just bought a new bike. Well of course that is going to happen! The Old Boy said that he would follow me, I was thinking maybe he didn't want me to see him struggling going up this mountain!

There was no way my little legs could get my fat backside,complete with heavier bike attached to it (I thought I would mention that my bike is heavier than his) up there in one go............... or two goes.......... in fact I did have to get off and walk. But the Old boy said "Just stop, don't walk, catch your breath and then go again) Is the man completely out of his mind. If I stopped that would mean that I am not progressing up the hill!! Nope, that is not what is going to happen, I got off and pushed my bike up! All the while though the Old Boy stayed in his saddle and kept on going.

I did ride up some of the hill, my data from my Garmin will show that!, I was so glad when we had reached the top though. Once this hill was behind us, it was a pleasant ride, though some of the places I did my 10k back in October last year. When we were heading towards home and only had about a mile to go, the Old boy asked how far we had come so far. "7 miles and a bit" I informed him, "Well that's no good he says, we need to get in 10 miles before we go home" So he quickly conjured up a new route, going through the park, up more roads, heading towards Norman park (where nagging sister use to push me round my mile jogs) and then head up towards Keston! Yeah! That sounds like a plan.

So that's where we went. It was a fairly easy ride from there to Norman Park,and the Old boy was having a great time, (the only bit that he in fact suffered on was Old Hill, where he did actually stop for a tiny bit), and because he was having such a good time, he suggest that we actually make our way to Downe Village for a quick refreshing liquidation!

Blimey, there is no stopping him now! But what he didn't tell me was that there was an incline, all the way, from here to Keston! I needed the loo, so the Old Boy suggests that we stop off at the Greyhound to use their facilities.

It was bloomin hard work! The incline was never ending, unlike Old Hill where you could have a breather at the top, this looked as it its going on and on. Of course, I have ridden to Downe Village, and I know Downe is up! Up the top of hills. So I knew there were going to be more hills after this.

Eventually, after encouraging chants from the Old Boy behind me, I kept going and going. "How far now, before the pub" I asked him, "Not far, its that white building just up ahead" So with my gaze fixed on that I just cycled and cycled, I didn't want to stop peddling, not even for the huge lorry that was coming in the opposite direction! Keep going keep going.

We made it to the pub, I quickly went for the ladies and when I came out the Old Boy had got a round of drinks in, he had just realised what the time was and we needed to get home and do some shopping!

I was so very relieved! I'm not sure if it showed in my expression though! I stopped the Garmin again and we drank our drinks. Then set off on our way home. I know from here its all down hill. Phew! But the Old Boy had different ideas. "There's a route that goes through some woods" he says as he tries to remember which way it is we need to turn to get there. Oh well, bang goes my free wheeling all the way home! All too soon we got to the little path that will take us right, towards Locksbottom. Now, what with the weather, all the snow, and the rain, the path was a tad muddy. Further down this path was a huge 'swimming pool' that we have to go through. The Old Boy has decided that I should ride up front, I'm sure that its because he wants to see me fall off in the pool! Just to check out how deep it is!

It was quite eventful going through here, there were more huge puddles very sticky, wet deep mud holes and trees going across the path that we had to 'duck' under as we rode on!

We came to a lovely road on the left, which thankfully we took. This took us out just by the junctions at Farnborough. We walked our bikes over to the A21 and road DOWN, DOWN DOWN, BEAUTIFUL DOWN the A21 towards our home. It felt good to ride home from here, free wheeling all the way down, turn left on Lower Gravel Road and up Jackson road to 'Turn around Lamppost!'

It was a good fun ride. Hard, very hard. and the Old Boy kept on at me to keep going. Had he not been there, beside the fact that I would NEVER choOse that route anyway, but I would have got off my bike and walked so much more!

So for the new found geekiness in me, here are the stats

Time (moving, i.e. time in saddle, not in pub or cafe) 1:47:57
Distance 12.98 miles
avg speed 7.2 mph max speed 23.5 mph
Max elevation 407 ft

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I had forgotten to push the start button again on my Garmin, I remembered when we were on the muddy path! So about a mile needs to be added on really :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment