Monday 31 January 2011

A Nice Gentle Evening Ride.

Hello Blog lovers,

I can tell you, both me and the Old Boy were not really in the mood for going out, it was cold and dark, and we were later than usual due to me working a little later. But we went out anyway.

We got all our riding gear on, me with double gloves today, my bike gloves and some woolly ones over those! We checked our bikes lights are all on and working and set off.

The Old Boy wanted to do a route we have done before. through the ally, up to the Keston Mark and then right through to coney hall. I didn't mind that route, its not too bad, hill wise that is, but I do remember a rather bumpy unloved piece of road that is a right bone shaker. And its on a down hill! I love going faster on the down hills but this part of the road is just so bad, so many potholes and the tarmac is coming up and all sorts! And its quite a busy part of the road too, so you are kind of stuck on that part of the road.

It seems I was keeping up with the Old Boy, either that or he has slowed down for me! Hmm I know he said he was tired, but I think its because of my bike! Just an altogether better ride. Every Traffic light I was more or less behind him, the only one that I didn't quite manage was the first set at Keston Mark, but I wasn't far behind him. I knew the route, but I also know my sense of direction, and somewhere on this Croydon road we will be turning right, but they all seemed the same to me, so it was just as well I was keeping up with his twinkling lights!!

It really did feel like it was an easy ride, neither of us looked as if we were pushing ourselves, and before long were where turning right on to Westmoreland Road! The hill here normally gets me blowing a bit, but not today. "Oh, wow, surely I haven't got fitter over night" I thought to myself. Then we were turning left to go through Bromley, up hill! Now this one really does have me blowing out my backside! It maybe short but its steep, and I have to make sure that I don't cycle in the bus lane like I did last time, I'm sure I was holding up a bus on the last ride up here!

There I was riding up the hill, and this little ditty that has been in my head since Keston is still going round my head. It is keeping time for my legs to keep on peddling up hill, the ditty is "Keep on peddling, keep on peddling, keep on peddling, peddle power!" This kept me going, believe it on not. I wasn't even glaring daggers at the Old Boy today, the whole ride so far was.......easy! I am going to have to push myself harder, go up a gear on my bike and work harder! Or we are going to have to find harder routes, with more hills!

Going through the high street, slowly of course, we both feel we have done this route quicker than we did last time. I am not feeling exhausted or anything. It feels like a pleasure ride. On through Bromley Hill, still just a leisurely pace, I should have pushed myself, but, but......well no excuses, I should have pushed myself. BUT I was going as fast as the road would allow me to go safely! That is important as well.

Turning right onto London Lane, and today is when I noticed that you are not actually allowed a right turn here. So I used the pedestrian crossings to get over, I'm sure last time I rode my bike on the wrong side of the road, luckily there wasn't any traffic coming from London Lane then!

Today the Old Boy stayed on the road and we negotiated the roundabout and rode straight into Plaistow Lane. So much better than getting of the bike and walking, and getting back on and waiting for a space to ride again.

The ride home was just enjoyable. I know I should have pushed harder, we were soon on to Blackbrook lane. This is a lovely road to ride on, smooth virtually all the way, and I peddled in a slightly harder gear to get to the end. The I saw the Old Boy turn left into Southborough instead of going straight over to ride through the park, but today, I didn't care I was quite looking forward to tackling the hill, give myself a least a bit of workout this evening!

So up the hill we went! The same little ditty going through my mined, "Keep on peddling, keep on peddling, keep on peddling, peddle power!" Did it! I cant remember if I groaned a bit, I know I was looking out for that jogger that over took me last time! I'm sure I did moan, just before the crest, but, wow!! Is it the bike, or is it me!! I would so love it if it was me!!

We turned left at Nightingale Lane and headed off home, talking about the teething problems on our new bikes. The gears not quite 'getting into place' or maybe its us that are not quite used to changing the gears just yet.

Reached home, stopped the Garmin and so for the geeky stats. And have you noticed that if I wear the heart rate monitor it shows calories burned as a lot less than if I didn't wear it. So who knows, what the calorie burn up on a ride like this is.


No comments:

Post a Comment