Monday 24 January 2011

Please Summer, Get Here Soon!

Hello Blog lovers.

What a ride that was today! In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "It was a wet lap"

I had a bit of a weekend, and I was totally bushed. I didn't even get out for my usual Sunday run after church! I really was very tired indeed!

I wasn't quite my usual bubbly self first thing this morning, as the little lads mum noticed. I do try not to look too scary for the kids first thing in the mornings, but sometimes fail miserably! But after a pleasant day looking after the little lad, and no school run, I felt ok for a 10 miler with the Old Boy.

We set off, and it was rather chilly, but we were both wrapped up nice and warmly, the Old Boy with his woolly hat on. We rode down to turn around lamppost and beyond, towards Keston. "We are going to ride straight up, past the Ponds, and the do a right" the Old Boy informs me. Now I know most of you who read this know the route, and the route is one long huge, long huge, did I say long huge hill, up to the ponds and then more! It started raining, (before I even got to the ponds) I really wanted to say to the Old Boy, "Look its raining, how about making it a short ride back home" But he was up ahead of me, I could see his little light blinking away. I had to carry on and try and catch him up.

I crossed over the road at the Keston Mark (well, I still know it as that) by the garage, and the Old Boy was waiting for me. I know why he was waiting, he was wanting to get behind me, to keep me from stopping, to encourage me to get up this f.........lipping hill! As I said to the Old Boy, and as I readily admit to myself and all who ask, I am one of lifes lazy people. I could quite easily sit and watch telly, play on the compter, even do ps2 singstar, and improve my karaoke performances!. It takes determination and motivation to get me off my comfy chair. But I do like riding, I like riding on flat routes, I like riding down hills, and looking at scenery, and stopping for lunches and swift halves. But that is not going to get me fit!

Right moaning done. Like I said, this hill just goes on and on. I had to stop a couple of times. The hill is really that long and that huge. I told the Old boy to go on and I will see him at the top, but, being the gentleman that he is, he waiting for me. I stopped about twice just after the ponds, so not too bad. I kept on going though (until I stopped again). We soon reached the top, I don't know how fast (well slow) I got up the hill, but once at the top it was a beautiful ride down as we turned right. This is part of the road that the Old Boy wanted me to finish when we first picked his bike up. So I know this road is all down hill!

But would you believe I had to stop. Yup, I was going so fast, the rain was coming down, and I was puffing like a steam engine. I had to stop and clear my glasses! It was a fun ride home from here, the rain even eventually stopped. We rode passed the GreyHound pub, and headed on into Hayes, and passed the 'Ribs' restaurant. MMMMM, you gotta love those ribs.

Hayes Lane soon came up, and the hill reminding me that I am not yet fit. Apparently I did the small hill very well, "A good momentum" The Old Boy said. But Hayes Lane, I really had to concentrate on the old breathing, and keeping the legs going. When we got to the top, The Old Boy said the from here, it was going to be straight across to Homesdale, up towards Page Heath Villas (you know, the posh sounding place, but it isn't really) and then on to Blackbrook lane, turn left and up to the very top!

The Old Boy was in front of me as we crossed over the road. I know this route, I have run this road with Naggy, and at the bottom of this road is the hill. The Old Boy was well in front of me, but as I knew where we were heading it didn't bother me, no doubt he will wait for me at the top the hill, to make sure I rode up the whole thing.

Head down and get the hill out of the way. Did it! Turn right into, Page Heath Villas, waiting to see the Old Boy and give him a grin to say that I did it. But the Old Boy wasn't there! I rode on a bit and waiting under the bus stop, maybe he will come back for me, or maybe he was waiting at the top of the hill but somehow missed me!. I waiting for about 5 minutes. "Blooming cheek! The Old Boy has gone on without me" I thought. Well, I guess he knows that I know my way home from here! So I carry on. Not looking forward to going up Southborough Lane without my nagging voice behind me!

On Southborough now, the first part is nice and flat. I ride pass the road that takes me home "Why are you doing that" a little voice comes into my head as I look up towards Petts Wood. And then the incline starts. I start singing to myself in a monotonous, repetitive single tonal way "This is not the bloomin way home, this is not the bloomin way home" All the way to the top. Thoughts of the Old Boy sitting in doors by now, probably cooking dinner, and having a cup of tea ready for me, spurring me on. Done it! All the way! Non stop! I just got to the roundabout, when I heard a voice behind me "Straight on now babe!" It was the Old Boy!

Apparently I had misheard him. I was supposed to have gone on pass Page Heath, up the other side of the hill. The Old Boy did come back and look for me, he even rode down to Tescos to look for me, thinking I may have come off my bike! I think he needs to add on another half a mile or so looking for me (he he he) and extra hill work.

A nice ride home from here, with the Old Boy telling me how he was looking for me, and how eventually saw me when he got on to Blackbrook lane. He caught up with me on Southborough, but kept very quiet. He was waiting for me to stop on this bit and was looking forward to telling me "Don't even think about stopping!" But I spoilt his fun by getting up the whole way!

We were warmed up when we got back, now would that be the weather had warmed up, or we just got used to it, being as we were soaked through!

Geeky stats for you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment