Friday 21 January 2011

Records Can Still Be Broken!

Hello Blog readers!

Wow, so pleased with today's effort! I didn't think I had it in me to break personal bests, but there you go, and the proof is in the Garmin!! Boy do I love this new toy of mine! It shows me my route that I take each time, my heart rate, and the fact I cant lie about it, there is no taking off a couple of extra minutes fiddling with the key to get in and check times, not that I ever did that before the Garmin I might add. But on the odd occasions that my IPOD timer went astray, or the old stop watch was accidentally stopped, I did have to kind of guess.

I was feeling pretty upbeat about running out today. A fresh pair of legs, the cycle ride yesterday was very gentle indeed, and no running since Sunday! wow, its been that long! Well, I felt like I needed to get out and run really well today. So after kitting up like the professional I am now, (what? you have something to say?) I stand outside looking for satellites, soon as they were located, I pushed the button and set off.

When I am indoors, thinking about my run, I am all confident that I am going to push and push myself really hard. Then I get outside and start the run and I think about how far I am going to get before I stop! So from the second that thought comes into my head, I say to my self "You're doing the bloomin hill in one go woman!" and with that comes a little whimper, as the cool air gets to me. "Don't worry about that, the hill will soon get you warm" another thought pops into my mind. Is the fact that nagging sister and Vic.2 have decided to take up pavement pounding again that these thoughts pop into my head, has naggy neighbour put a pod cast in my IPOD of her nagging! Who knows! But it has the done the trick. Right to the top of the hill I get, and just a bit further along the road, to the 0.51 mile mark (I looked at the Garmin) and just took a quick breather there. Just a short one, to poke my lungs back down my throat, and then running again.

I had it in mind to have a next quick stop at the corner of shepperton, just as I turn into it. I like to give myself little treats like that, unlike Nagging Sister and Naggy, but I also said, "If you can Old Girl, and if you don't need to stop for a breather, carry on" Now this is how I like to be treated, (it's probably not going to get me entered into the next Olympics though) So I turned the corner into Shepperton and I carried on. I carried on running, even though I promised myself a little walking breather there!

But then, I stated to get a little bit tougher, I didn't want to stop now until the main road. That was the next breather I had promised myself, even though I had missed the last one. I did stop though, but N.M.F (Not my fault) another jogger stopped me, skinny as a rake, and asked which way it was to Chislehurst. She was wanting to do a loop, so I can only imagine that Chislehurst is where she had come from! She didn't look like she had run that far, but I pointed in the general direction of where I thought Chislehurst was. I followed her up to the main road and she turned the same way I was running, in accordance with the vague pointy directions I sent her, and then she asked someone else! And he pointed in the opposite direction of where I did! Oh well. If you see a skinny, pink clad jogger looking lost, point her in the direction of Chislehurst please.

Right, tougher. Its all well and good giving in the namby pamby with people like me, who are comfortable in the comfort zone, who don't even ever challenge the comfort zone, but that's it, you see. I need to challenge the comfort zone, go for personal bests, push out further than the three miles I am doing. But Naggy gave me some advice that I need to be able to run the three miles non stop first, and so did the coach with the PettsWood Runners, I need to be able to run at least 30 minutes of non stop jogging! I got to get tough on me.

So from here I turn into a class act nag! Right next point bridge, no stopping. next point passed the pub no stopping! The on to the railway bridge! Whoa, my brain started to take over from what my body was doing. I was still running up to the bridge! "One section at a time Please!!" says this tiny voice in my head. I have a short break just on the other side of the overhead bridge, and then make my way towards the pub. I stopped again, and I get very annoyed at myself, there is no reason for me to stop!

Push on again, passed the pub, to the walkover rail bridge, just one section at a time, next focal point, the bustop by the library, then the next bustop by my friends house. By the time I was passed theirs I was flying down the road, I had a quick glans at my Garmin and it said I was on for a 10 min mile on the last mile, if I kept up at that pace! But of course I didn't

Running passed the first Oxhawth, always a mental torture, knowing that I got to run back up to the same road to get home. But I was moving quite quickly. Down the second Oxhawth now, and heading up towards 'The Road I Dare Not Stop On". But first the slight incline, which by now feels like a mountain on my legs and I nag and nag to ge my backside up there!

Done it, (with walking spells!) But the last stretch now. "Focus Old Girl lets see whats left inside" I put on a bit more speed as I run down here, but just as I get to the roundabout I stop! "My goodness Old girl, don't' you dare stop here" I can hear naggy and nagging sister and Vic.2 giving me such an ear bashing. Not only that I was telling myself off as well. "Get your ass back to running, NOW" I start to run again. Totally disgusted with myself that I walked. Pass the roundabout and on and I glance at the my watch, "Blimey, get a move on Old Girl and this could be a PB" Well that spurred me on. I dug deep and pushed harder, my chest was heaving, gunk was bubbling out of my lungs and nose, but I needed to keep going,

Round the corner, dig deep that's it, keep going, up the path, finish in style!! yup! That's A PB cant wait to upload that on facebook!

So geek stats, and you will notice something very strange indeed, for some reason unknown to man or satellites, it had me starting my run in someones garden, then shooting back to near my house, and then right back, running leapfrog over more gardens to eventually settling down on the right route! I am just hoping there are not burglaries reported in that area at the same time I was doing my run!! Cos otherwise they have me bang to rites!!



It seems that my Garmin has some poetic license in it too!

p.s. just noticed the elevation gain too, I don't remember any mountains that I climbed all though that last hill did feel like it! ha ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment