Sunday 5 September 2010

Sky Ride Day. Brilliant!

Hi blogees.

What can I say about today. The day was all that I expected it to be. It was just brilliant.

We started off from home, obviously, that's me and young son, who I roped into coming. We met the other Sky riders at the arranged meeting place,



These were just a few of them. There were about a hundred and twenty leaving here to ride the 13 miles to London this morning.




We headed off after having a few pointers from the ride leader, I decided to stay up the front, (Well, the ride leader did say all slow riders should stay up at the front) and that's where I stayed.

The ride went just brilliantly, the ride Marshall's did a very good jog of stopping the traffic to allow all of us to get through traffic lights and across roads so that we all kept together. Even young son was enjoying it, I must call him big son now, as he is almost 16! And he really didn't think he would. Of course he bought his mobile to text his friends about it,





There were a few incidents on the way, punctures, pedals falling off, and kiddies falling off bikes. But they were not the only ones that fell off their bike. I did too! I fell off from a standstill! We were in a bottle neck going through a gate, I tried to get off my bike but didn't have enough room around me because of all the other cyclist, so couldn't quite get my leg high enough over, and I came crashing down on to sons bike. Of course he looked suitable embarrassed, and just shook his head in utter disbelief. I think maybe he did utter, a quick "You alright?" before the look of indignation came back on his face.

There were a couple of other incidents, little squishy characters on the racing bikes cutting me up, making me topple slightly and and yet another making crash into kerbs, but other than that, it was a brilliant ride into London.

We got to Southwark bridge a lot later than I thought, it was 11:55! but still, it was such fun, and now to tour London.

OH MY WORD! Tons and tons and tons of bikes and riders. They have traffic control persons to stop the cyclist to allow pedestrians to cross! we rode on from Southwark bridge to as far as the Houses of Parliament.

I thought I took a picture, but it doesn't seem to have come out! Oh well. Anyway, by this time I was desperate for the loo, so after big son got us both a burger we followed the route and tried to find loos. It was only when we got to Regents park that we found any! And in the park were entertainment and eating places, and bikes and riders, and all sorts other stuff happening and everyone having a great time.

I took my place in the queue for the loo. For about 20 minutes I queued! This so far the longest I had been off my bike today! After finally reaching the loo, and a quick prayer to Him upstairs that everything would be clean and usable I faithfully went in to the portaloo! I'm sure you don't want to here about this bit! but I'm sure you can all imagine! Especially recent festival goers! I made my way back to big son who was watching the band on the stage.






We joined the route again and followed the crowed. It's not so much cycle through London as Scoot through London! I am not very good at riding very very slowly because I tend to topple to much, so I was scooting my round, my leg was aching more from this than the ride here, and the cramping at the top of my leg, whooo!

We (I) decided that as we had come this far we might as well do the long route, after all we still have plenty of time left before our led ride home, so onwards to St Pauls Catherdral, a truly lovely building. This visit though I don't think I will climb up the stairs to the whispering galley!





The mayor has truly put on a good day for all us cyclists, because here at St. Pauls is yet another drinks station, where you can hydrate for free! Water or some other pink looking liquid which I let big son drink by himself, I stayed on the water.

Onwards, for ever onwards, just follow the throng! we are heading up the last stretch now, even though I didn't know that. We passed our meeting point for the ride back home, and big (tired) son asked if we should just cut across and go and wait on the bridge for the last hour or so.

Of course I said......"No way, we have done this much, might as well finish it off" Still on our bikes we rode with everyone to the last 'U' turn, which happened to be up the hill. They had people in the middle of the road encouraging, playing music and egging you on up the last small hill. Just up ahead I could here, "this is the last bit now, be careful as you do the 'U' turn to go back." But I decided I was going to have another photo shoot here, with big tired young son doing the shooting.

This is me outside the Tower of London.






Now, to find the bridge home, and maybe another loo stop!

We were very early still, so we rode over the bridge and tried to find a nice loo. We asked a couple of marshals and they said the the Globe theatre would let us use their loos! Oh thank heavens for that, I know that they are going to be nice and clean!

I forgot to take a picture of the globe, mainly because now we were stuffing our faces with lovely chocolaty things we bought at the theatre snack shop! We headed back for the bridge, only we went a slightly different way and had to carry our bikes up the stairs by the bridge!

Everyone met up promptly and looked very happy. It really has been a brilliant day. On our way home now, and still the same story. The mashalls doing a fantastic job of carving our way through Londons traffic, punctures, spills but still plenty of smiles.

I will admit here, right now, the very last hill, which took us up to Bromley High street I WALKED! As soon as we came out of the public footpath, I looked up and said to anyone who was listening "No way am I going to make that now" and I pushed my bike up it. Of course at this time, I was the only walking up it, and big tired son said "Come on mum, ride it you whimp" and he took off at speed, all the way to the top.

Half way up the hill though, there were a few more dismounters, and when I looked behind me there were a yet more dismouters, so I didn't feel that bad.

A few shorts minutes later and we were back where we started at 9 this morning. It was about 5:45, I'm guessing, but it wasn't much before or later than this, and I was still smiling! Big son was even smiling.

And now we have just 3 more miles to do before we can sit down on nice soft comfy couches and chairs!

A brilliant, fantastic day! Roll on next year! but maybe next year, I will take a picnic and sit and listen to some music instead of hitting the streets of London, before riding home!

No comments:

Post a Comment