Thursday 16 September 2010

Excercise Drought Over!

Hi Watchers of the blog.

I know its hardly a drought, but it really does feel like it. Just a few days off, what with the wind and rain, and the old girls back playing up, I feel like a couchee again, not good!

So today I was supposed to have a short ride to the local village with a new riding buddy. She hasn't been on a bike for a long time, so I thought just a 2 mile stretch and then lunch before heading back home. But she didn't make it, her bike had a puncture and she was tired so it didn't get fixed. There was only one thing for me to do then, and that is to ride up hill. Up hill to Downe Village! I should easily make that with all the lazy days I have had.

So after eventually getting out of bed, (I won't bore you with details of what time that was)I had a cuppa and then headed out of the door. Obviously having showered, cleaned teeth and put some clothes on!

The sun was shining but it still a little breezy out there. I set off for the ride. I really couldn't face Starts Hill today, so I went the other way, its a longer hill, but the road is wide and smooth, and, if couch potato had started to worm its way back in again, then at least there is a pavement I can walk up on the A21.

I was a bit chilled when I first started off, but when I got onto the A21 then I warmed up, rather quickly. This is a good road to practice getting into the right lanes, building up my confidence in readiness for the long haul to Brighton next year. I just need to make the drivers aware of my intentions and then carry them through with confidence. Left turns are still a bit difficult, not in the doing, but in the indicating! I can hold my right arm out and not wobble on the bike, but not so holding out my left arm. I have to go and practice on a field some where.

Now the A21 is a long hill, and quite a busy road too, but they have the cycle lane there, so the cars and buses should be on the look out for possible cyclists, me in particular! I got into all the right lanes this time, no getting off my bike and then crossing roads using the pedestrian crossings. Even turning right into Farnborough Village, I was in the right lane. But I won't get to cocky, always expect drivers to do the unexpected and think that they haven't seen you.

The ride through this village is lovely, tuning right down Church Lane is a joy! Its all down hill! But I know that there is another long hard hill to negotiate before I get to my lunch. Mmmmmmmm bacon and brie, I don't know about you, but that just seems to fit so nicely together, mmmmm.

Turning right again now, that long hard road will soon be here. At the very top of this road awaits lunch, and a large diet coke, mmm. Here comes the left turn, still wobbly. Why am I wobbly when I let go with my left hand? Very strange. Now the hard work begins. I want to do this in one go, no getting off my bike and walking. It needs to be done.

My legs are killing me, my heart rate is ten to the dozen and I'm puffing like anything. I want to get to the top of this hill. But I failed. I got to as far as Cuckoo Woods car park, and lost energy. I just caught my breath for a few minutes before walking a little way up. I walked for about 4 or 5 minutes before I pulled myself together and urged myself to get my fat ass back in the saddle!

From then on I stayed in the saddle. It was hard work. But I know I can do this. If my memory is correct its not that far now, a few more zig zag bends and I'm there.

It was a joy to hear the kids screaming and shouting in their playground before I even saw the school, because then I know that I am in the village! I can start relaxing and think about my sandwich and drink. I well deserve that.

Around the bend now, and there's buildings, houses, streets, the church! Made it, and only one walking spell, (I should have stayed on my bike) even in this quiet village the roads need repairing there are tractors and diggers and rollers in the middle of it. Still, it will be a even nicer smoother ride next time I come up.

Sandwich order, drink in hand, a nice cool refreshing diet coke, and sit down outside and chat the to the landlady. Although the son is shining, and I'm still very warm from my ride, I soon cooled down. I ate my sandwich and downed my drink. I popped back in to use the amenities and then home I go.

I love that ride home, all down hill, well mostly any way. This time I just let the bike roll, hardly touching the brakes, just rolling on down. The wind in my hair, well though my helmet and in my eyes, making my eyes stream, bugs in my teeth as I'm smiling away, I'm getting a little chilled riding fast, my hands are cold. ...... I'm sure there is some fun here, ..... I know there is, because I'm still enjoying it. I just need to start dressing up a bit more now, get some cycle gloves.

It didn't take too long to to get to the road up to Farnborough Villiage. I know I can do this hill because I have done it before. So because I walked a bit on the way up I will make sure I ride this hill to the top. And guess what blogers, I did it!

From here till I get home its plain sailing. I decided to stop off at the supermarket and get something nice for tea, (always thinking about food!) and then just take a nice leisurely ride home.

I have no idea how long it took to ride there and back again, but today, I don't mind. It just felt good to get out there and do something to get the heart rate jumping again.

No comments:

Post a Comment