Friday 17 September 2010

See, There Was A Reason I Didn't Run This Morning!

Hi Blog lovers.

This morning, after I made sure big son was up and out for school, I thought about going for a run, before my lovely daughter brought around the dude. She was doing a first aid course, so if I ever overdo the running she will be able to deal with me. But obviously the little dude couldn't go with her, so no cycling today, but I really did think about going running before he got here.

But my duvet was just too inviting, and I stayed in my bed. I finally got out about 10:30 and had a shower, there is always going to be tonight.

At 5.45 pm ish I got a text from naggy neighbour asking if I wanted to go for a run! So there was a reason I didn't go out this morning. Naggy was on my door step about 6 o'clock pm with all her gizmos, and a new plan! "Today we are going to put some hills in our running, in readiness for our 10k"

Well, I didn't expect that! I know the route I did last time, the slightly hilly route, probably wasn't what naggy had in mind. Oh no, the hilly route she had in mind were long hills. The ones that seem to go on forever. Not the ones that I had done, a two minute upward haul and then on the straights for another mile! No!, these hills that naggy has in mind were long laborious ones, and the route includes my nemesis Magpie hall lane.

We started off at a fairly easy pace, it's all about pace, get them hills sorted, make sure that they don't beat me. "It's not about time, old girl" says naggy "its about pace and getting it done in one go, no walking!" she says to me.

So out of my house and turn right then left then right, we are heading towards turnaround lamppost. Wow, I have not seen that for some time now, I must go back and visit it sometime, as a speed test, just to see.

We got half way up the path and then naggy goes off road and takes a left into the park. "we are going to go up the hill to the A21" informs naggy. Of course at this point I can still answer her, and even have a fairly normal conversation, something I couldn't have done way back in March, and definitely not without an oxygen tent when I very first started jogging back in 2008!

She is keeping me going, its a lovely evening if a little chilly, but by now I am warm and my old faithful shrunken hoody is being tied around my waist. Through the gate at the other side and we are looking at the slight incline up to the A21! Ok so its not worthy of ropes and climbing gear, but its a gradual hill, how did naggy put it, oh yes, this is an undulating route! Which means there are more slight, long hills to do before we get home.

That one done, now looking at the next one! turning right now on to the A21, again its not a massive hill, but the bit that we have to run is all going up, not only that, but we are going to turn right, those of you who know where abouts I am, that brings us on to the road with that hill that has become my nemesis, Magpiehalll lane! As we are jogging down here I hear naggy say "Now you know whats coming up don't" Oh yes, I do know whats coming up "I am not" breathe "looking up" I say to naggy. "Good, that's the way, now head up, shoulders back arms down, get your breathing under control, get read to attack the hill"

We cross over the road, so that we are on the side that I normally run on this road, and all too soon we are at the start of that gradual hill, steeper than what we have done, and its mocking me. Already have run nearly 2 miles I think, I'm warm, and naggy thinks I am doing well, as I can converse with her! So I know she is not going to allow me to doing any walking on this hill.

Right now, bring the arms up, shoulders back, head up, breath woman! you can do this, you can do this, it's just another road! Get your ass up there! I have done it before, I can do it again, even with those other hills 'in' my legs, I can do it.

Well, if I could have, I would have jumped for joy. I'm at the top now and still running, no time for celebrating yet, if I keep this going I will make it all the way home.

How does she do that, how does naggy get me to run non stop, even to as far as here, the pub, why can't I do it when I am by myself. Naggy is encouraging me all the way now, head up, shoulders back, "its all about pace today, get you around, with hills, non stop" she continues "Its not about speed, we shall do that another day"

On the last leg now, head home "Down the second Oxhawth" she says to me "Get another hill in before we go back" She's a had woman! At least I can still chat to her back, even if it is only two words at a time now. But this does give naggy some thinking fodder, that maybe we should do a little bit more!

That's it, top of the hill, last turn right as we head on home. I am still jogging. There is no way I am even thinking of walking now, not this close to home, no way. I am jogging this whole route. just cross over the road now and its down hill to our road! Oh joy of joys. This is good, we have done all those hills, non stop all the way, and we turn on to our road. "Right, finish in style" There is still a little left to do that, "Ok" says naggy "But to my door, not yours" ARGGGGHHH If, I knew that, I would have not sprinted so soon "Race ya" says naggy as she zooms past me.

Yes, yes bloomin yes!!! All the way, on her super douper gizmos it tells us we ran 3.36 miles in 44.38 minutes! Not a fast time over that distance, but we did have those hills. Its all about pacing ourselves today, get those hills sorted. Now her super douper gizmos say that our average minutes per mile is 13 minutes and something seconds, I forgot what naggy said.

No comments:

Post a Comment