Friday 24 September 2010

Run In The Rain, Or Not!

Hi blog readers,

That was the question going through my head this morning and this afternoon. It rain horrendously yesterday, well, I know rain is what we all need, but still, it could have slowed up for a bit to let me out for a run.

Today I got up late, I have no squiddlies here till the schools are out, and I do love my bed. Mrs CouchPotato must send subliminal messages to me while I'm sleeping so that I don't want to get out of bed if its not necessary. I have breakfast, late of course, which means I can't go out for a run till at least an hour has passed. Well come noon, I have still not managed to get out for a run, because now its raining!

I keep looking out side thinking it will slow down soon. I do get changed into my running gear, just to show willing. As soon as there is a break in the clouds I am off. But it never came. Naggy wanted me to run this evening, and I wont be able to do that (I am getting my hair done, don't want to spoil it), so its now or never!

Oh my goodness, this is ridiculous. What will happen to me if I run in the rain. So I swap my chip over to a cheapie phone, (I always run with a phone when I'm going solo) and just head on out of the door. I didn't even clock what the time was. But there was one thing I was sure of. Its not going to be an LSR more like a SFR (long slow run, Short fast run).

Out of my door, down the path and turn right, to the end, the turn right again. I am going through the top of the park today, a very short run, about 1.86 miles. I really don't like rain, but as my hair is going to be done today, I am not as bad as I usually am, still, I have my pink baseball cap on and my shrunken hoody hood up over that. I must look a weird site.

I jog through the park, wondering, "Why am I doing this now" and then I remember, the 10k in October. Oh yes. Then the other thoughts come in my mind about why we started running in the first place, way back in 2008. It was all for mum. She still is my inspiration, and is always with me when I run, because I wouldn't be doing this, if.......... Keeping fit was and is inspired by my mum. Miss you mum.

I get to the end of the Parkfield now, and from here till I get home I am going to do some FARTLEK training. I know! I didn't know what it was, but reading back on my blogs its what I have been doing without realising, only today, I am going to add in a sprint! So this is how it goes, 1. Jog to first lamppost, 2. Sprint to second lamppost, 3. walk to third lamppost, and the start again, jog, sprint, walk. All the way home, just about a mile. It was hard work, and at one point I thought I am going to die now if I continue with this lunacy. But towards the end (obviously) I was looking forward to the sprints, just pushing myself to go fast, but knowing that I got a little walk afterwards was just what I needed on a day like this.

It all virtually worked out that the last sprint was just up my path, so I could finish in style as usual, although the only creatures out are the squirrels! Oh and look at that its stopped raining, when did that happen?

22 mins for 1.86 miles, not sure if that is a personal best, but does it matter, I ran in the rain! (and it gets easier to do so each time I have to do it)

No comments:

Post a Comment