Sunday 20 June 2010

Sobbing Sunday

Hello blog lovers.

Now, I don't know if its because its Sunday, or the race for life has finished, or its because I ate crap yesterday, but today was hard. Eating rubbish food, is it really true 'You are what you eat' as that silly Gillian 'let me see your poo' person says. Because today I had no energy, it was hard going.

Smarty Pants came knocking at my door and she said she is only go to do the short run today (I say short run, but to me its the longest run among the routes that I do) because she says she is not really up for it. Well I remember her saying that last time and ending up running 7km (that's about 4 and a bit miles!) So, we shall see how far she goes today.

We set off, IPODS in and switched on and the timer going. Its a little chilly out there today, so we both decide to keep our jackets on, but I know we will warm up fairly quickly. OH MY GOODNESS my energy levels feel at an all time low. I am looking at the first long road thinking 'I have got miles to go yet'

I try not to think about it, my legs already complaining like mad, and my breathing is all over the place. I just need to get through this as quickly as possible. Now I know I can run that first mile, I have done so a few times now. Smarty Pants normally inspires me to keep going, but I am beginning to think that maybe even she is struggling this morning. I take my first walking paces way before the first mile was reached. And I was angry with myself. Smarty Pants looked behind and gave me a quick 'Come on!' and then she was back into her own personal struggle.

I gave myself a complete telling off and ran to the first mile mark.........and promptly cried, I could see Smarty Pants about 100m ahead of me, 'at least I can still see her' I say to myself, before another sob comes from me. I am so pleased its Sunday morning because there is hardly anyone about to see this pathetic creature crying and telling herself off running down the road.

This is how the rest of the jog took today, jogging, pushing myself harder, crying when I couldn't do it and then sulking as I walked a few paces. When I had reached the turning that takes me through the park and home, I had to really put the blinkers on. The head went down, peak cap pulled virtually over my eyes so that I couldn't see the sign for the short cut.

I got back to the the 'first mile' mark, knowing that now I only have one more mile to jog and again sobbed as I thought to myself 'You can do this bit, you have jogged it non stop, NOW GET A BLOOMING MOVE ON'. Am I being particularly hard on myself, I don't know? Its just that blooming thought going through my head that I can jog this bit. But I think my energy levels went down the toilet even before I had left the house this morning.

On to the last long road, telling myself to move it, faster, stop walking and start jogging. Its downhill, the best bit! Almost to my turning now, I check the stopwatch, 43 minutes and something! this spurred me on to jog faster, I can beat my PB for this route if I only move my ARSE So I did. Where that last bit of energy came from I don't know. But I pushed and ran and jogged right up to the lamppost outside my house.

45 minutes and 34 seconds

Ok so its not a complete annihilation of my previous time, but its still faster and that's what counts. And Smarty Pants must be feeling particulaly off colour too, because she really did only do the same route as me, 3.34 miles in 35 minutes, that's slightly over 5km

No comments:

Post a Comment