Thursday 17 June 2010

A Short Fast Run? No!

Hi blog lovers.

Today I was thinking I was just going to do a short run to turn around lamppost and back, just to keep this old girls legs from seizing up, as I was jogging on my own today. That run is going to be my 'See how much fitter I am getting' run but Smarty Pants had other ideas.

Apparently, just because Smarty Pants had eaten loads of 'crap' yesterday (it was her birthday) she needed to run it off today. Thats her excuse. But you and I know that she has a really bad case of 'I need to run'. I know this for certain because I too was quite pleased that she was here so we could do the new regular route of 3.34 miles, (my route anyway, cos Smarty Pants lives up to her name and just carries on running!)

Its a lovely lovely morning out there, and I had my IPOD on and my water strapped in my bumbag. We set off at the usually pace, nothing spectacular and nothing Britain's athletes will ever be worried about, and just jogged on up the roads. Those first ten minutes are really horrible. In the back of your mind you know there is still a long way to go, and I know that first mile is still up ahead. Smarty Pants stays with me all the way to the first mile, and then she starts to pull away, that's when those extra ten years (and extra pounds) really notice. But I was still determined to get to the first mile.

I did it, and I carried on pass the next road before I slowed to walking and taking my first sip of water. By now Smarty Pants was just going. No looking back to see if I was still with her, she was in the zone and just kept on going, going, going.

I picked up the pace again, and jogged and jogged. I just wanted this over, all though in some weired sort of way I was starting to enjoy it. Even the ache in the back of my left leg was reminding me that I am out here getting fit. Fitter than I have ever been since I was in single figures age wise! Mmmm, when did I first get lazyitus?

The road back, which is the same road out on the new route, is both welcoming and mocking. Welcoming because its on the way home, mocking because its up hill. So like the other day, the best way to sort this out is head down, don't even look up at the road and just go for it.

Then the second to last turn right. Yes, the down hill bit. My legs are shaky, but my face is smiling, or is it grimacing, I'm not sure. But I do know that I am happy with myself for doing the long route today.

Usual timer problems, because I was squeezing so hard on my IPOD I switched the darn thing off, and stopped the timer. One good thing about that though, is that I knew that because the tunes stopped and the IPOD also makes a note of what time you started the stopwatch. So all I had to do was make a note of the time I got back to my house.

So, IPOD started at 09:22 reached my house at 10:08 meaning I did that 3.34 miles in 46 minutes! Smarty pants got to her house 2 minutes after me with the extra miles or so that she put in! So a very productive day.

Oh and I set my self a goal of running 50 miles in 30 days, and today I completed that goal. I have ran 51.40 miles since 18/05/10 not bad for an old girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment