Saturday 17 August 2019

Satur.........parkrun Day!

Hello all

I am still feeling a bit emotional, I should imagine I will be for some time, as well as Kirsty's family too.  It's a hard thing to comprehend.  Getting out of bed when there's really not a lot to do is tough!  I thought I would go for a run yesterday, I noticed in the morning it was kind of ok, but then by the time I eventually got out of bed it was pouring!  A right miserable day, so I ended up not going, of course.  Even after telling others 'It's ok, rain is fine, we're not made of sugar!"

Anyway back to today, Saturday, ooops did it again, parkrun day, my alarm woke me up and then I waited for the buzzing on whatsapp about who is going and who isn't! It didn't happen.  As I got ready I texted Naggy, she didn't answer me, I text Shalini, but she wasn't coming, clinging sick child was holding her hostage in the house.  I text Tracy to see if she wanted a lift.....she was in Eastbourne! Darn it, if I had known all of that in advance I probably would have stayed in bed!  I forced myself to get out of of the door and drive to Normans Park.  I was a bit late, I drove into the car park, I thought to myself "If I can't find a parking spot I am not going to make it, I might as well go home!" It seemed someone was looking out for me this morning, there were a couple of places that I could easily get parked in.

Because I was a little late I had to run/walk up the long straight to the start line, trying not to get too puffed out.  There were plenty of others still arriving, some were doing warm up drills as they made their way to top of the park.  I just wanted to get there and then see how I do.  I wasn't sure who was going to be there, but then I spotted Auriol, I made my way to her and then saw SnappyH, she had only just got there too!

I had all my technology at the ready, Jabra chatting away in my ears, with my music, my Garmin at the ready satellites found, now lets see if I am ready!  RD Mattsmat got us under way!  Me and Auriol ran together, SnappyH had her own agenda, busy healing from her injury, wanting to do a non stop 5k!  She is getting better and better!  She has really done well!  I had asked Auriol who else was at parkrun today, she said that she thought RefMichael was there and maybe CarolWithAnE, but she hadn't seen them.  The countdown, 3, 2, 1 go!  We started running, SnappyH took the lead from the off, me and Auriol just plodded along.  I had my music in one ear, with Jabra chatting away every so often. Mainly though me and Auriol chatted all the way around. We  saw RefMichael, he called out to us, and there were a few other PWR's that called to us too.

The music helped me keep my pace, while Jabra sometimes told me to slow down!  I may have to adjust my pace slightly, maybe I am getting a little bit fitter.  I told Auriol that I had received my last payslip yesterday, along with my P45!  I just looked at it for a few minutes, just staring at the words on the paper.  When I put the paper down I realised I was crying.  I no longer work for Kirsty, I no longer need to go and help get her ready in the morning, send of tons of emails to celebrities.  It was a horrible feeling.  If only there were a few more months!  But I am sure even then it wouldn't be enough.

Auriol spoke about her son, Carl, he had leukaemia, he passed away a while back.  It's not fair, losing your children, it's just not right!  I can't even think about what it's like but I did love Kirsty, she was like an adopted daughter, with all that goes with it!  Arguments, strops, fun, laughter, outings, sitting in watching films or playing video games.  That's what  I did for Kirsty, it didn't feel like work, it just felt like spending all day with a mate!  So there was me and Auriol, running, crying and talking about these two young people! We didn't plan to talk about these to young adults, sometimes it just comes out, and it was so needed, we  wasn't planning a pb today either, we were just planning on finishing, just to get to the end and that's it.  Another parkrun done, just because we can, praise the Lord that we can too!

Oh, just a quick footnote, as you probably know, I am not a morning person, I have been known to run in odd socks, even ran in odd shoes once!  This morning however, it was my jog pants, I had them on back to front!  It reminds me of that scene in MIB2 where Will Smith's character says "I pulled my pants on!"  A bit like how I felt when I noticed this morning when I got to the park ready to start running!  At least I didn't have them inside out as well! I only noticed it when I couldn't find my pocket to put my key!



As promised, two charities that J.J. is supporting in Kirsty's memory, you don't have to, but hey, just a quid or two,  you probably wouldn't miss it!  I bet if you look down the side of you sofa, you will find a couple of quid, or.....in the fluff collector of you tumble dryer.....housewives credit I call it!  Stick in in the pot.

https://www.stchristophers.org.uk/donate  I am pretty sure if you say it's for young adults at St Christophers it will go into the pot for the young people who need St Chris.

https://cysticfibrosissupporters.org/

<iframe src='https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/embed/3959277784' title='Bromley parkrun' width='465' height='500' frameborder='0'></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment