Tuesday 20 August 2019

Club Run

Hello readers.

Tuesday again, seems like time is just running faster and faster....unlike me!  This week I have been mainly......lazy.  I did go running on Saturday, but nothing since.  Even though I can!  I can only put it down to lazyitus.  I am not going to beat myself up though.  Time does need to slow down a bit though!

I was leading today, poor CarolWithAnE is still in recovery, she will be back, she is doing everything that she can to make that happen.  But injuries need to heal at their own pace, not what we want them too!  Nicola was in the introducers spot this evening, and she suggested that we all let everyone know our names as we step up to give our routes and speed, I'm telling ya, it felt a bit like therapy time, you know, the things you see on t.v. when you stand up and let everyone know 'your addiction'. I stood up when it was my turn "Hello I am Old Girl, I am....a runner".  Goodness knows what the new people thought!  At least they can see that we are a happy, friendly bunch of runners!

I had 8 runners in my group with a couple of newbies too.  I love it when newbies come along, this is what group 1 is all about. A nice introduction to club running, nice and steady, nothing to difficult, no hills.....ok I lied about that bit!  My route this evening started off with a hill!  We all gathered together, as soon as group 2 left we were hot on their hills out of the gate.  The nights are drawing in quiet quickly now, it just don't seem we have had much time for running in the woods!  My route, however, had just a little bit of running in the woods, just the bit that runs up towards Oprington road.  Then out of the woods and straight on to the pavements.

I led them to Marling Park Road, we were going to do the loop around the estate, with some more hills. Going down hill is brilliant, especially when we pass that lovely house with the chandelier, Still, it's good for building stamina!  When we got to Kevington road I suggested they all run to the roundabout at their own pace.  We were going to take a little breather and then I was going to introduce a little bit of hill training, well, they were all warmed up.......me?.......nah...... I didn't do the hill training, my knees are still playing up, not all the time now, but still it's there.  I suggested if they were up for it, up the hill, twice and down again.  Do you know what?....they all did it, all of them.  Proud group leader here! 

Of course we all had to run up it one more time, because at the top is where we need to be.  I told them that we had finished with the hills now, apart from the last down hill, on Petts Wood Road.  Once we got back on to Orpington road we turned left and ran towards the big round about ready for that lovely down hill section.  It feels good those down hills.  Once we all at Crossways I said they could all run at their own pace back to the rec for some stretching.

Well, there's my blog.  Im not quite back to how I was, maybe we never do get back to the way things were. After all, if I went back to the way things were after my mum died I wouldn't be running now! I would have just carried on, eating and drinking to excess, no exercises at all.  Who knows what the new norm is going to be now.  Kirsty had a zest for life, she wanted so much to lead a normal life as she could, I hope in some way I helped her to do that, plus a few extraordinary moments too. Things changed when I started my running, things changed when I made best buddies with my running friends.  Things are different again.  My running is helping me to stay focused, I am so pleased I have my running club, the friends I have there is just amazing!  On Friday we have Kirsty's funeral, a chance to say a final goodbye to Kirsty. That's going to be tough.

The charities that J.J. and Kirsty always supported are

https://www.stchristophers.org.uk/donate

and

https://cysticfibrosissupporters.org/

If you want to donate it's quite easy, these guys can make some lovely changes for others. Thanks in advance.

My geeky stats, (minus the hill training of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment