Thursday 29 August 2019

Last Core Training and Speed Session

Hello readers.

It was the last of our Thursday evening sessions and I was taking the lead.   Usually at the end of these sessions there are just a few left, the light going, earlier start and holidays keeping people away.  I was planning on doing the magpie game, but there just wasn't enough of us to do it, so it was the pyramid game that I had in  mind, but first of that all important warm up.

I decided to the two laps in a different sort of way again, where I get all the people in a row from the fastest to the slowest, then I pair the fastest runner with the slowest, until we meet in the middle where they are equally matched.  Then I send the pairs in the opposite direction to round around the pitch, high five when then meet each other and then run back to the start, high five again, and then do that one more time.  It seems a good way to warm up and hopefully all finish without waiting for too long for everyone to get back.  Straight into our drills to make sure our muscles are fully warmed up and ready for the pyramid running!

I had set out a course while the runners were doing the warm up laps, five lines of 4 cones.  I am sure my course is short than DiscoRich when he sets out his course. Mind you, with only 3 in each group it might be better, we will deffo be required to run before we get out breath back!  With the faster runners stepping up first, each choosing a middle runner and a slower runner.  Should be a close contest!  I had to do the pyramid run to make up the numbers.  I don't think the team I was in the last one to finish though, but after that it was a fast pace 'race' to bring in the cones.  The faster runs had to run to the furthest cone collect it and bring it back, the middle one get the next and the slowest runner to pick up the second cone leaving he faster runner again to pick up the first cone.  Ingenious eh? Saves me collecting them, plus a little bit of extra running for everyone!

Then our core work out, with some squats, lunges, planks, push-ups and star jumps. I introduced a new style of lunge that I saw on the computer, I can't remember the chap that was doing it, but he said that it is better for engaging the glues, if there is anyone that needs their glutes engaging it's me!  It is also better for me, at least better than the whole right angle that you usually do. It's like a lunge forward and a reach down, keeping the back leg straighter, instead of the 90 degree angle.  Of course I gave everyone the option of doing that one or this new, glute engaging, knee friendly one!

A quick drink and we were ready for our par lufs (I am still not quite sure how to spell that) but its the relays for anyone that don't know what that is, I am sure you are all long time avid readers and know that. With 5 teams we had approximately 12-13 minutes of running.  I think I said to them all about 10, but I just can't add up, but as soon as everyone was running the would soon not worry about how much time is left......right? Of course I had to run to too, I didn't do my Garmin though, it was low on battery, I didn't want to over run our relays!

With some cool down stretches it was all over and done with for our 2019 Core and speed training sessions.  A great time.




No comments:

Post a Comment