Thursday 22 August 2019

Core and Speed Training in the rec.

Hello all

Training time, we meet up a bit earlier too.  The sun is going down way to quickly.  I can't believe our summer is on the way out!  Nigel and Auriol we doing the session today.  I arrived just at around 7:15 or maybe just a couple of minutes extra, we are starting earlier so as to make good use of the available light. 

The first thing of course was warm up jog, twice running around to high five our running partner and back to the start.  It works really well, because then we all should, theoretically finish together, ish.  It worked out pretty well, which means that no one was standing around too long getting colder again!  Then it was the drills, warm up the muscles, ready for the running sections.

The running section Auriol split us into two groups,  we made two lines, faster runners and slower runners.  The weird thing is the teams seem to split into the boys team and the girls team!  A battle of the sexes commences.  Nigel chose the running game that Illustrious leader usually does.  We were to run around the cricket pitch, the slower runners were going to be hugging the rope that's protecting the square pitch, and the faster were going around the cones about 5 or 6 foot from the rope! So they had further to run!  First runners from both teams set off to run around the pitch, as soon as they got to the third corner the called out and then the second person started on their loop until all runners had a turn.  The girls came in first! Nigel had us do it again, guess what?  The boys came in first!  So there had to be a decider, because Mary had pulled a muscle, she bowed out of the next circuit.  We need have one of us run twice!  We kind of nominated Liz, she was by far our fastest runner.  We put her in the front, so by the time she has to run again she would have a rest.  Guess what?!,..........GIRL POWER!  We won!  Well done Liz, an amazing sprint!

After a quick drink we did our core training, trying to engage our core, as Nigel said.  engage my core, I'm not even friends with my core, let alone trying to get engaged to it!  I am sure if I keep trying I will, one day!

Then it was our par luffs, or relays! We got into our teams of three, I was with Auriol and Mary.  Mary had to take it easy though, she had pulled a muscle on the first running activity.  We may only get a couple of laps between us, but at least it's something.  It was on this activity that I remembered to switch on my Garmin!  All that speedy bit of running around the rec, not recorded, not even the warm up lap, not recorded, the core training didn't get recorded either, but that's ok, it usually lowers the average speed anyway, because I always forget to do the whole switch on while running, switch off while not!   The thing is, on my second leg of relays my ankle decided that it was going to hurt!  No idea why, I didn't fall down 'Donnas Holes' which is apparently the name they have given to the hole that I fell down earlier in the year doing the beginners course!  It just hurt, like a sprained ankle, but I hadn't done anything, I just ran!  I had to limp along to Mary to hand the baton over.  Mary ran slowly and carefully back to Auriol.  I thought just a little rest, twiddle my ankle a bit, try and 'free' the pain and it will be fine.  It's happened before and usually goes after a couple of minutes!  But it didn't.  I decided to limp back to the pavilion, and I do believe Auriol was running this way and that way, for some reason!  Well, at least I had something recorded on my Garmin and Strava albeit not much!

So, all done, we will get one more session in before the light beats us to the finish. 

Tomorrow is going to be a sad day.  It's Kirstys funeral tomorrow, the last thing that we can do for her.  I am struggling for words.  It will be hard day, but later on we will remember the fun times, the places we been.  The celebs she met over the years!  The thing that will always be in those memories too is her struggle, Cystic Fibrosis is an awful disease, slowly killing the lungs. St Christophers (young adults) Hospice have been wonderful people, it's all funded by donations!  Please give generasly or you can support a new charity, the Cystic Fibrosis Supporters.
https://www.stchristophers.org.uk/donate

https://cysticfibrosissupporters.org/



No comments:

Post a Comment