Tuesday 13 August 2019

Club Run

Hello readers.


Some blogs just come out, the words just flow, (spelling and grammar obviously just stay well back into the grey matter) and yet other blogs I just can't find the words.  Nothing comes, so I just write a pretty boring piece, just like a note for a diary entry.

This blog, is the first blog I have written even though I have been running last Thursday, and yesterday with Wendimoo.  Both of those runs I did, I needed to do.  Thursdays run was the last official core training session in the rec, yesterdays run and talk was with Wendimoo.  A run/walk that we both needed.  You see, we both cared for Kirsty, I had the Monday to Friday shift, Wendimoo had the Sunday shift.  I  cared for Kirsty for 4 years, it was an absolute pleasure and privilege to do so.  She used to find it funny that I went running, but I am sure she was secretly happy about both her carers went running as well as her mum!  Kirsty passed away, last week, on Tuesday 6th.  Although we knew this time would come there was always that 'Just a few more months'.  There were still more celebrities on her list that we had to get.  But that wasn't too be.  Kirsty passed away peacefully with her family and friends around her.  Such a dreadful disease Cystic Fibrosis.

Every time I ran and I get to that point of struggling to breathe, get that huge bit of air into my lungs, to fill them up, I thought of Kirsty.  She once described how it felt lie to be her in an article she wrote for her local circular, 'It's a bit like trying to breathe through a straw all the time.  Kirstys lung capacity just got worse and worse.  I saw the slow decline of this lovely young lady, it was extremely stressful but the most rewarding work that I have ever done! 

The two runs that I have done so far, I just didn't think about, the Thursday even rec training was just me letting off steam.  There was no parkrun for me last Saturday, I was away, up to my friends for just an overnighter.  It was good to just chill for a day.  On Monday, Wendimoo and I went for a nice slow run/walk and talk through the woods.....in the pouring rain!  Then popped in to see J.J. who is Kirsty's mum, to give her hugs and support. 

Petts Wood Runners brought us three together, through the love of running, PWR was instrumental in bringing us lot together as friends where we can ask for help and support from each other.  I also believe that God had the plan already written out before any of us decided that were were going to be runners!  Believe me, if you had asked me this time 12 years ago that I would be a member of a running club, a leader in said running club, have some amazing friends from a running club let alone find gainful employment because of all of that, I wouldn't have believed it!  I wouldn't change a thing!

Todays club meet just goes to show what a great club we are.  There were big hugs from my friends there, bringing about some wet eyes, but I managed not to cry.  There are going to be tears, lots of them, me and Kirsty had an intense 4 years together, but I must keep on running, I need to be even more determined to run at every opportunity.  Kirsty would have loved to just keep on going, bloody disease had other ideas.  Back to basics, run for running sake, run just because I can, run because I am bloody lucky that I can run! 

I ran in group 1 again, just because I need to build up my fitness again, get my head straight, keep my running mojo happy by not pushing too hard just yet.  I ran in a group of 7, Auriol was leading and had a lovely route planned, a bit of road, a bit of park and finish on the road.  There were two newbies with us too, I hope they find PWR as friendly and supportive as ........well as everyone who has every joined PWR so far.

So not so about my running, but just letting you know what's been happening.

I will find the link for the two charities that J.J. has set up in Kirsty's memory and I will add them to my next four blogs, if you want to contribute.   Rest in peace now Kirsty, breathe easy my lovely friend and run pain free!

Kirsty and her mum J.J.


No comments:

Post a Comment