Thursday 17 November 2016

A Golden Morning!

Hello blog lovers.

This morning I met up with my running pals for our usual Thursday Morning run.  I had an idea that I would be in a group of 1 this morning, the other two groups were well attended.  Then I saw my friend Nigel, Auriol's husband, and I just fell apart!  This lovely family had lost their son on Tuesday, but their great faith in God they know that he will be in glory!  Today's run will be a very emotional run for all of us.

All three groups were heading for the woods, yes that includes me.  But I really wanted to be in the solitude of the woods today, run, reflect...cry!  Would you believe I was the first to start running towards the gate, but soon the faster group overtook me.  I turned left and ran towards the entrance to the woods.  Before I got there the middle group passed me.  I suppose I could try.........no, not today, trying to run with a faster group today was not what I wanted.  They turned right once we were through Dog Poo ally and I turned left.  Although it's the middle of November, and it looked cold this morning I had already warmed up and also regretting that I put on a long sleeve top!

I really felt quite peaceful running through the woods, it feels like it's been a while since I've been here.  In the heart of a busy town like ours to have these lovely green woody areas so close to us is just so good.  When I enter through Dog Poo I can feel like I leave everything behind, just for a while.  I am left with only the thoughts in my head.  No need for an iPod in here.  The birds singing is all the music you need. Just breathing in the air is just so invigorating!  The smell of the damp leaves underfoot, it really is all the therapy that you need, you can do a lot of thinking, praying and crying in here!  I was suddenly shocked out of my thoughts by a racing greyhound.  He was chasing the train as it sped past me, the train that I didn't even notice because I was deep in thought and mesmerised the the beauty of my surroundings.  I came across the own of the dog a little further on, just by the bridge.  She had another greyhound with her who didn't feel like running!  The running dog came back to his human and doggie companion as I chatted for a minute or so with her.

I continued my run all the way down to the little river and then up again, up, up, up to Botany Bay Lane.  I was going to do just a little bit of road work before getting back into the woods.  The mood always changes when you leave the woods, it's like having the switch back on to 'normality' again.  From stepping over litter breathing in school kids cigarette smoke and getting out of the way of cars! All tensions seem to come on you again.

It wasn't going to be a long road section, I am diving back into the woods as soon as I get to the top of the road.  I am not even going down the housing estate with the lovely big house. I am going straight to Scadbury Park and then run along there.  The traffic stopped me in my tracks as I waited to cross the road.  You don't have to stop in the woods.  All these people driving along in their cars too busy to stop for just a few seconds to let a lone person cross the road, taking all of 20 seconds off their time.  Too busy to even think about letting me cross the road.  I wonder if they even saw me standing there.  First at the side of the road and then in the middle.  I wonder if they did see me then wished they could be running too.

There were a couple more runners running in the opposite direction when I got to this bit Scadbury Park, well, they were walking actually, and chatting as they took a walking break.  I continued on through and then I heard a voice behind me "Excuse me" he said, and I stepped aside and a runner ran past me!  I was taking a walking break at the time!  I always try to run when I see other runners!  It's my 'thing' that I have to do! So I started running again, not that he could see that I was running, but it felt good in my mind!  Just then the sun broke through the trees making the woods glow like it had shone on to a golden mosaic path.  I just stopped and looked in wonder, I felt totally a peace in that instant.  I had to capture this moment on my camera.
Gold mosaic floor!

I continued running on and then I saw the guy who had passed me by.  He was obviously doing an out an back.  But I think at least that time I was running.....I think!  I came to the road, Leesons hill, my run will soon be over.  I crossed over and then crossed over the other road to get back into Petts Wood.  My run really is over now.  My emotions came crashing over me as I thought of my friends, and then I realised what date we are at, at least tomorrows date, the 18th.  That was when I lost my mum, nine years ago.  Her leaving, my mum dying on the 18th is the day that my life took on a different path.  If she was still here with us I know I would be this chunky cuddly nanny, (mind you if I don't keep an eye on my weight that can still happen!)  But I would deffo be a very unfit chunky cuddly nanny!  I miss my mum so much.  I sobbed as all these thoughts came over me, I spoke to Him upstairs too.  I needed this run.

By the time I got to the rail lines I was more or less composed, I ran down beside the train line towards Dog Poo ally.  My run finished at the rec.  I was the first one back, followed by the middle group and then the faster group!

Geeky stats.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Donna, it is a powerful post mixing faith, honesty and peace together. I don't know what I would do without faith and the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Duncan, I have done a lot of praying, taking and running in there thar woods! :-) xx

      Delete