Tuesday 15 March 2011

Slow Coach Old Couchie!

Hi bloggers,

Today it was running with the club again. So while the Old Boy went off with his new toy, a distance counting computer gizmo for his bike! I went off with my Garmin to the running club.

I need the peer pressure to keep me going, to push myself out of my little comfort zone. I am getting better, probably still not quite up to the running club standard, but definitely getting better. I have been really sneaky though, the club memberships are needing to be in by 1 April, I thought I would get it in now before they realised who I was! and asked me to wait a couple more months! But this is a very friendly club, very supportive, I'm sure they don't mind me tagging along.

So after the very brief club chat, and the groups organised and informed of their routes we were off.

It was a misty sort of night. I wasn't going to wear my bright jacket today, because it does make me rather sweaty! I just wanted to run in my running gear, but I put it on just so that I could be seen by motorists when we cross the roads.

I was keeping up well with the group for the first mile, but then my pace backed off while theirs picked up! I was always about 20 to 30 seconds from them. Again I kept one of the runners at the back running along with me, boy did I feel bad. But I couldn't concentrate on that, I just have to push and push myself. As I said to the girl running with me "One day I shall stay with the pack!"

When there was only one mile left to go, and a change of running partner for me, the run leader, (my new run partner) said to the others, "as there is only two more roads to run , two straight roads, then run at your own pace" she continued, "but to stick to the route, in case we have to pick up any injured runners".

Of course then the pack spread out even further, I tried to keep my pace going, I even tried to pick it up a bit. When we were on the last straight road, we spotted one of the the ladies walking. I was thinking "Oh good, I'm not the only jog/walk person here" that is until we caught up with her. She had, in fact, picked up a small injury, or strain. but she kept at it, walking some then running some. I too had twisted my ankle as well, and was jogging and limping the rest of the way home. It wasn't so much of a twist, it was more like a trapped nerve or something. I knew if I kept running through it, it will be fine.

So today, due to unforeseen circumstances, I wasn't the last person in our group back to the pavilion today! But, I don't suppose I can really count that as a first really!

Geeky Garmin stats,

No comments:

Post a Comment