Sunday 20 March 2011

Did She Or Didn't She Run 5K?

Hello bloggers,

After a 30 mile bike ride yesterday, I didn't think that I would be able to walk around a 3 mile route let alone jog it! But I had told Naggy that I would be doing it, so I just had to go ahead and do it.

After church I came home, did some chores and then got ready for my run. Then I sent a text to Naggy to see if she was ready. Would you believe it, she wasn't, she was off out buy shoes! At least she had finished and was just on her way home. So I decided to wait. I needed all the nagging I could get to help me just get around this route today.

Finally she was here. We set off, both of us starting our watches. As soon as I started to run I felt every single one of those 30 miles in my legs. They felt like lead and I had to try and keep them moving!

Naggy knew that I had done the 30 miles, she had seen the blog pictures, and she said to me "I know your tired, but today is about getting around in one go, not about the time only getting around non stop jogging" I knew how I was feeling, and I would have been happy just to get the first mile non stop, let alone the other two and a bit. Yet there was still this determination in me that I can do it, I can get around this 5k in one go

We were chatting for the first three quarters of a mile, but after that I remained quiet, I needed to concentrate on my breathing, and on every step a jog, on my posture. Naggy doing her very best to encourage me "You're doing very well, keep it going" Before I realised it we were half way around the course, but I was really suffering now! The lead in my legs seemed to have doubled! I just needed to keep going.

Next section had Magpiehall lane in it. So far I had run all the way here, and now this darn hill. Naggy could sense my mood as she said "Just keep your breathing controlled, use your arms to get you up the hill, you can do this" I took one look up the hill, look at it, see the top and the go for it. I kept on running, towards the end I was moaning, "Keep going, you're nearly there" Says naggy. It was hurting though, and I was so happy when naggy said "You made it" but only after I tried to slow down to a walk! Naggy wasn't having that on this road, no way!

Running towards the pub now, "Only one more mile to go and your home" Says naggy. So far so good, but it is really tough now, "It's all psychological now, you can do this, I know you can" says naggy. I'm running along still, not as fast as before, but its still a jog and not a walk.

Made it first Oxhawth and we turn down there, I took a glance at my Garmin, "Don't worry about the time, its not about that remember, just concentrate on getting all the way home without stopping" "ARRGGGHHH," was all I could say now, and I slowed down to a walk "You can write and nag me in your blog later, but your not stopping" and with that she got behind me and pushed me along! Nope, there is no way I was walking on todays run, naggy is going to see to that.

On Farringdon now, of course no stopping! I just looked at the parked cars, and saw each one disappear behind me, as I concentrate on keeping the lead poles moving. Each car was a milestone for me, looking for the next one, Naggy kept up the encouraging words. We turned down our road and Naggy said "To my door." Her door is just a tad further than mine, but after all I have done this weekend it just seemed like another hill to climb up, so I dug deep and just went for it, I listened to Naggy about opening my pace a bit, stretching the legs further and just run!

If you have read this far then you will know, YES I FINALLY RAN THE WHOLE WAY!

Geeky stats

No comments:

Post a Comment