Wednesday 1 January 2020

New Years parkrun!

Hello blog readers
Me, Auriol, SnappyH, CarolWithAnE
Naggy with Benji and LouLou

Well, I did it, I got out on New Years Day, I know I said 'maybe' for the New Years Eve run but the duvet had me held prisoner until 11 at least!  I knew there were going to be a good few of my buddies running today, they are just as crazy as me!  Also for the first time in absolute ages, Team Angels were all together!  Hopefully this is our year.......nope, more positive..... this is our year!  I know....I sound like everyone else does, but I know that some people who have said that, yet were still in bed this morning while we were all out running! Not me though, I got up, went out....over to Naggy's house, collected her and Benji and then on to Normans Park!

But that's the thing, I was out running and I fecking loved it!  Don't get me wrong, it was still pretty hard, it always is!  I remember when I first started out running, that's only because I have blogged everything since I started way back in 2008, I used to think that as you got fitter this running malarkey would get easier....faster...., she says laughing out loud!  But the only thing that is has got, is continually. (is that the right word)  I have continued to run, every week, unless I've been on holiday, and then on the odd occasion I have taken my running shoes!

This is a new decade, and I have just realised I have been running for more than a decade, something that pre 2008 I never even thought about, let alone be possible!  Yet here I am, still at it, still running!  I think I will always continue to run, because I have my running family, PWR, Group 1, The Angels! Also there is no better community than the running community!  Oh look at me getting all smooshy, I guess what you all want is to know how I did!

Well, I was there!  And so were 728 other people, possibly some with hangovers!  I can remember the first time I attempted a new years day run, I ended up puking in Petts Wood High street! I don't think I have attempted another one, but I will have to go back and check my records!  But after having a drink free NYE I was feeling pretty good, ready for this, and feeling extremely smug for being there!  That is until I heard that there were a few PWR's there doing a 'doubler', they had already done one parkrun and were now doing this one!  Well, Bromley parkrun were running at 10:00 am this morning!  Most civilised, so a great opportunity to do a doubler!  I of course didn't, as I told Adam when he had asked if I were doing my second!

We were doing the run in Widdershins, that should help with the whole psychological stumbling block too!  The crowd moved, I started Jabra.....no music though, blimmin Spotify let me down, just kept on buffering! Grrr, either that or it was my phone net work, EE! But jabra nagged me, "Speed up to reach your target pace" she said in her blimmin matter of fact voice! Well I knew that, I was still trying to get through the crowd!  Seven hundred people is a lot of people to try and run through.......ok so I know I would never have run through that many people, way to fast some of them!  But there was some that I managed to overtake!

The first lap was ok, mainly because SnappyH, after her headband 'poinged' off her head just ran beside me.  After we almost completed the first lap she realised that actually, we could both listen to her music. she had it playing through the phone speakers. Now we could both run to the beat.  I like running to music, it just helps to take your mind off.

The second lap, well, it kind of went really quickly in my mind, anyway, so much so I had to ask if we were on the last lap!  This Widdershins stuff really threw me!  I just couldn't figured it out, how many times I had to run pass the park!  It was SnappyH that told me we were on the homeward stretch now, just got to head for the funnel!  About 3 quarters of the park to do and it's all done!  Not bad! SnappyH kept me going, she is normally way in front of me, Naggy and Benji were probably finished we parted company before we got to the first corner!  But the end is near, just the last corners to do and it was all done!

Going through the woody bit we were discussing a sprint finish!  "I don't think I have a sprint finish in me" I said to SnappyH "No, me either" she said!  She lies!  Because when we were almost to the funnels she grabbed my hand we we ran in together.  I think she spotted KevTwoBalls just by the funnel entrance poised with his phone ready to capture our finish!  I guess we really needed to look good!  But he did capture this, both of us airborne!  You have to look carefully at mine, but both feet are deffo off the ground!

A fab run, also it's one of the fastest parkruns I've done in a while! So I'm pleased with that! All together a lovely morning, with some amazing friends! 

Geeky stats, oh and by the way, I didn't start my Garmin straight away, two busy starting Jabra and trying to find music!



Finish photo Kev Howard Photography, other photo I think is from

No comments:

Post a Comment