Thursday 1 September 2016

End Of Season Core and Speed Training!

Hello blog lovers.

This evening was the only exercises I did today,  as this morning I had the last of the kids sessions before they are back to school!  Six children this morning!  We had some interesting games!  I was trying to think of 'rules of play' on the spot!  And I was also way off the 'p.c.' clap-o-meter as I put the kids in two teams.....girls against boys! (the girls won by the way!)  It was a good end to the summer season!  Hasn't it gone quick!

The session this evening was led by DiscoRich, and it's the last of the 'rec sessions'.  In a couple of weeks he will be leading out Thursday training evenings.  Interval running and speed running, on the pavements.  As for me, I shall be back at track!  I got to try and get my speed and stamina up again!

We started off with the usual 2 lap warm ups, and more or less straight away I could feel the little ache in my left hip!  Just a niggle, but it's letting me know that 'it's there'!  Maybe this session I won't push as hard as I was planning to, just enough to know that I have done a good job.  That was my plan after the warm ups, and I started that with the drills.  If DiscoRich said 'butt-kicks' then I was going to make sure that my heels kicked my but.  If he said opposite elbow to opposite knee (keeping a straight back) then by George I will try my best to make sure elbows and knees touch!

I was going to try and do everything to the best that I can do.....without speeding around of course.  With the running then it's running correctly, head up, shoulders back, breathing correctly and everything!  When we do the core exercises I shall make sure that my posture is correct, my lunges are at 45 degree angle's and my plank was as plank like as I could get it!

The first of the running sessions was a tempo run, or interval run?  But it was at least 4 times around the track, half was running at 5k pace, half was at recovery pace.  The harder pace was also running up the hill!

Core strengthening started with SingstarJo, (it's so good to have her back with us!). She took us through a lovely routine of stretching and strength with the Sun Salutations.  It's a good little movement thing, smoothly taking you from 'tree', to table,  lunge, to downward dog, plank and cobra.  Then working back to tree.  DiscoRich took over again and gave us some more exercises, some sort of bridge thing on our back, lunges, squats and of course a plank!

With just the last of the running to do, relays, our session was done!  My Garmin ran out of battery on the first warm up lap! Oh well.  So no idea of how far I ran around the rec today, but I hoped it was quality stuff rather than just doing it to build up miles!

Track sessions here I come!


No comments:

Post a Comment