Thursday 12 January 2012

The Nagging Sister Is Back!


Hello blog lovers,

Free afternoon so what do I do? Sit and chill, take on the housework, cook up a culinary delight for the OB? Nope, I go running with Nagging Sister of course. She is back on track, or should I say pavement, and she asked me to go on her run that she did last Thursday afternoon, while I only did my measly 1.75 miles.

4 miles is definitely do-able for me, I'm an athlete, I am just an athlete in denial, that's all. And I need pushing, and nagging, and taking out of my comfort zone. So I agreed.

We set off from her house, and it's an up hill start. I don't mind that, it warms up the legs and we don't really push our selves fast, which is not a good thing, considering none of us have done any warm ups! Well NS was lifting her baskets of sandwiches and walking about lots, but me, playing cars, on the map, on the floor, is not such a good warm up!

I think I coped quite well with the hill, well I should really considering its just the start, but it was good mentally for me as well. Normally when hills come I have already ran anything from half a mile to a mile before hitting a hill, and I think that I cant run up them, so it just shows that I can do it!

I was having wardrobe issues again, with the tie coming undone from my jogging skins, or at least I thought it was, but actually they are pulled as tight as I can, they are just too big! I was feeling good about today's run, and I feel sure that we can beat NS's last time of 55 minutes for this route, at least I was hoping that is the case. I wouldn't be such a morale boosting for either of us if I can't beat her time!

My Garmin was counting down the miles, giving me mi/m as we ran along, and a few seconds after I could hear NS's 'endoscope' fitness thingy chatting away to her, telling her how she was doing!

There was a big black cloud looming in the sky, so NS told me, and I told her that she needs to get her self a cap! That way all that you can focus on is the space in front, no looking at the sky, just looking ahead, no looking down, because that means you are constricting your lungs, just looking at head. That is what I tell myself when I finally get into the zone! And it really does work. But then I snap out of it, moan that is too far, moan that my legs, lungs, chest, feet, hair! hurt. And NS does what she does best, an that's NAG.

I know these roads, and I know how far they are NS's house, and my car! But I try not to think about that, and just think about the road in front of me. I am feeling pretty good really, remnants of the dread lurgy still here, but nothing like it has been. I really believe I could be on the way to being a proper athlete now!

Reaching the Dripping Tap was definitely a feel good moment for me. Not far from here is my car and NS's house. I am nearly there, and I have ran most of the way, I think, no doubt NS will let you know if this is untrue! I know there was some walking bits, because NS came back and physically pushed me to get moving! Such a lazy mare, I am!

Anyway, the last road now, and its all they way down to NS house! And guess what? I put a bit of a sprint on. Nagging Sister is matching me, even she has enough left over for this last road. But I just had to beat her to her forecourt. She was in front of me, I slowed down a bit, I didn't like it, she was still in front of me! I sped up at the last few paces and beat her to the drive. Whoo hooo!

I saw on Facebook a winning comment from somebody on a competition, and the comment was 'The only time you need to be in front is when you cross the finish line' I liked that, and I was in front of NS when we cross her drive!

Here are the geeky stats

2 comments:

  1. Good work, a bit of sibling rivalry is good for us all and you beat last weeks time! well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to have a bit of comptetiveness about you :-)

    ReplyDelete