Sunday 29 January 2012

Abandoned at 6 Miles.


Hello blog lovers,

Well today was the day for our LSR, (that's long slow run, to you Nagging Sister. It was going to be NS's first 6 miler, where as I had done this distance, but way back in 2010, but have been close to this distance a couple of times.

The route is really, really straight forward. Two roads to run down, (and up) before we cut across to say hello to 'Turn Around Lamppost' The OB was our support today, and what an absolute trouper he was. He drove me and NS to Knockholt Station, took at picture of us by the sign, and then drove off, leaving us to find our own way home!!

The weather was pretty cool out, but I didn't over dress, nor did NS, but I did have my gloves on, and I'm sure NS would have appreciated wearing them as she had her hands inside her sleeves hanging on to the cuffs! I did loan her a cap, one to help stop getting cold too quickly, and another to help soak up the sweat!, if she works hard that is.

We watched as the Old Boy drove off with a toot toot of the car horn, which seemed to be the theme our out run today. In fact any run we do, people toot toot, why is that? And we started our devices to record every step, every elevation (and every walking bit) of our progress.

It seems a bloomin long way now that we have been abandoned. But I took comfort in the fact that NS has a phone, and we are on a main road, if we collapse then we are bound to get noticed! We are both in black skins, yellow fluorescent tops and black caps. In fact if it wasn't for the fact that I am more compact that my sister we could be regarded as twins!

Now I had a race in my mind. The OB had said something about he would be able to get to the Green Street Green round about in about 35 mins, and that's from dropping us off, driving back and getting his bike and peddling up to the said round about. And I so wanted to be there before then, even if he didn't do that, which I was hoping he wouldn't as he was on canteen duty, cooking up a lovely dinner for us, for when we get back. I checked my Garmin just as we passed there and noticed it was 25 mins, so I was well pleased with myself. And now to the rest of the run, only another 4 miles to go!

I tried to stay running all the way, but I did have some walking times, and NS was doing her best to keep me on my toes, pushing me, calling me, encouraging me, nagging me! each and every time I walked. I have come to to the conclusion that she is definitely fitter than me as she can sustain this run. But she did say "Don't be daft, I couldn't do what you do, and ride 20 odd miles) but I think that maybe she could.

We arrived at Farnborough and there standing outside the pub was the OB! Clapping and encouraging and telling us that we had done well so far! That was a really encouraging thing that he done, and it made me smile for the next mile or so from there. A quick kiss, ignoring the fact that he had a lovely cool pint already) and we continued our run. Not far now. I can see the bus garage, and the road that we turn right down to get to the Princess Plain road and my old fav lamppost that tells me its only half a mile to home!

A quick touch of TAL and off down the path, my legs were aching, NS in front now, looking like she only just started the run, and me trailing after her, determined not to stop on this bit of the run. Its weird to think about this point in our run, this very place as we are running down, I feel exactly the same (i.e. bloody exhausted) running back home from here as I did when I first started out way back in 2008, only back then I had only ran for half a mile! And look at me now, 5 and a half miles in my legs! 21 miles yesterday on the bike!! I have become a keep fit loony!

Nagging sister was taking off now, she was remembering when we ran for 4 miles and I beat her back on to her drive way, and, (although I find it very hard to believe of myself) I was rather smug about it! She wanted to be at my house before I did, and no doubt that subliminal teaching (nagging) she gave me back then, about sprinting the last bit, was coming to mind and she was off like a whippet to my front door.

I struggled on to my door and tried a little sprint just up the path, always have to try and finish in style, no matter what the distance.

When the door was opened at lovely aroma of meatballs and pasta met us, now that is finishing in style.

I just found out that it was some fellow Pettswood Runners that tooted us along the A21 on their way back from Canterbury 10 miler!, and also coming back from a short ride of only 78 mils was another friend of mine, so it really felt like a special event today, what with the old boy meeting us at the four mile mark!

Thanks guys for all your support and encouragement.


Geeky stats



a couple more photos, the two pics of us were around halfway through the run at 3 miles, of course you would know that.

W

2 comments:

  1. Well done Girls...I ran home up the path near your house and was going to write KEEP GOING DONNA on the path but couldn't find any chalk. Silly really considering I had just been on the North Downs.

    Really pleased you are pushing through your comfort zone, well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerry! Wow even more encouragement, just what this old girl needs :-)

      Delete