Tuesday 10 January 2012

Club Run - penultimate Group 1 Run? Gulp!

Hello blog lovers!

Today was another great evening. This barmy weather is suiting me down to the ground. It's not cold and it's not freezing, my kind of weather. Mind you, I did over hear one of the pettswood runners say bring on the colder weather!

Everything was feeling just right. I had my Garmin set, the weather was brilliant, I wasn't too wrapped up, and my cold is definitely on the way out! So it should be a good run, I must get that into my head!

We started off, our group was quite a big group, and our illustrious leader expertly lead us all out after designating Paul as a sweeper. When she told us that our first stop would be at Kwick Fits, my tiny brain cell was thinking "Thats in Orpington, thats like miles away!" In the past, from Pettswood to Orpington has always been a car journey or bus ride! So, it must be a mental thing, because she had already told us that our route would be about 3.8 miles! There is no way we are running 6 miles today, because I always thought that Orpington was about that far away from me!

Anyway, I had my running head on, and it showed, I was up at the front as usual with the group 1 first half runs. And its all just down hill, lovely, lovely down hill. Let the road do all the work, all I have to do is move my feet! Simples! I ran all the way to KwickFits. I was quite pleased with myself. Non stop from PettsWood to Orpinington, yes it was down hill, and yes it was a nice steady pace. But still, I did it, all the way. We waited for the rest of the group to catch up and then our illustrious leader gave us the bad news! "That was the easy bit" she began, "The bad news is, we now got to run back up to get back!"

I had already guessed this, in fact, I'm sure the whole group knew this! So we swung around the one way system and then headed on back up. But our illustrious leader wasn't taking us on the exact same roads, she had other plans, and a great way with words, "We will take this turning here and just go up this little slope and dos some twiddly bits, before arriving on the road that we took in the beginning"

Well, I shall say this for our leader, she hid the hill quite well. We kind of ran up hill, then flattened out, the ran up hill, and flattened out, and I'm sure there was even a downhill or two thrown in for good measure. I was of course at the back by now, I was having wardrobe issues, my clothes were wanting to part company with me! First of, my shoe laces came undone. I remembered doing them in a double knot before I left, but I must have worked the poor little girls too hard, and they wanted to get off!

Then my 'skins' were having issues! And I deffo remembered doing these up in a bow! I know I am in the next size down now, but I thought the tie would keep them firmly in place! I was desperately trying to tie them and keep on running, for one thing, I hadn't a clue where we were, and I didn't want to get lost!

When I did finally recognise where we were, (and we were approaching Tudor Way by that time) My running head came back to me. I paced myself a little until we got over Pettswood road and then I put the sprint on! It still baffles me where this little bit of energy comes from, but I am thinking it's the thought of my very delicious curry waiting for me when I get home. Mind you, I did feel a little nauseous at the very last few seconds, and I though I was going embarrass my self by decorating the pavement with 'Cooks privileges', the little tasters I was having as my curry was cooking!

Geeky stats

No comments:

Post a Comment