Tuesday 5 July 2011

Club Run

Hello blog readers.

Today was a rainy day! And I was thinking, "Maybe the club don't run when its raining" How silly was I. If I am keen to go running in the rain, then of course these guys are going to be positively looking forward to the cooling refreshing rain, keeping them cool, init!. Sorry, that is just there are any younger readers, at all, that will be remotely interested in the ramblings of this Old Girl.

But of course there was a good turn out "We don't shrink" says our group leader. I'm not so sure about that, I was desperately trying to shrink into my coat, and keeping the rain off my hair. I don't know why I worry about that now, because my hair is a complete mess at the end of a good run these days anyway! So there, I should do more rain running as well as hill running as well. I still don't like those hills, and todays run seemed to have a few of them today.

After setting my Garmin we started our run. And what the guys were saying about the rain is true! It really is quite refreshing. As we progressed along our route we all warmed up and the coats came off. I took mine off, and I was just as wet on the inside as I was on the outside. The coat I have is not very breathable, but it does hold out on a shower. Of course that is no good for us runners who want to be nice and dry while running.

Because of the rain we will be road running again, which is what I like best. Well, I shouldn't say that really. I do love running in the woods. When you are in the woods you kind of lose sense of time, and the run just doesn't seem as long, the distance seems shorter, its more interesting. The only thing that gets me is the whole nature thing, bugs in particular! How many calories are there in gnats? And I hate it if I feel a cobweb on me, just imagining the spider that created it, and if its in my hair, or heading towards my ears, ewwwww, the thought petrifies me!

Anyway, remembering to keep it short. We did this figure of eight loop, which incorporated the summer 5k route and the winter 5k route. It also included running past where we meet up in the first place, and my car! (Yes I still take the car, I am not up to running to the club yet, unless there is drinkies involved of course!) Looking at my car as I run passed it, I could quite easily just say I have had enough and get in, but I managed to avoid that temptation. And then we ran passed the entrance to the park, where we meet up!

We still had this other loop to do. So I just had to think of this as not going past the end, but as we are heading towards the end. Of course it didn't work, not when I was faced with another up hill to run up! But its not far now, so I kept telling myself, its not far now.

Coming back on the second loop was really nice. It had that lovely down hill section, which of course I love. Coming up to our road again, I just kept thinking I must keep running. So I just kept on and on. no stopping. I was looking forward to my dinner when I get home.

Done it, and the leader of the group says that I always seem to do well at the end of the run. I think its because I know that dinner will be waiting for me!

Anyway, geeky stats

1 comment:

  1. I have just written the same in my blog about how wonderful it is to run in the rain after such a long warm spell. Somehow I think it will be a little different in the Winter when we have weeks of it but let's enjoy the Summer rain when we can :-)
    http://ultramagicforest.blogspot.com/2011/07/what-difference-day-makes.html

    ReplyDelete