Sunday 10 April 2011

Bromley Fun Run: Race Report

Hello Blog lovers.

Today is the first of my charity runs. I didn't get sponsors for this race, I just paid up my registration fee. I can't keep asking you guys for money now, can I?

The day was looking good. The sun was shining, and there is a bit of wind about about as well. It is a little on the chilly side, but hopefully that will hold us all in good stead, because running is hard work and we will all soon warm up. I got up the same time as the Old Boy, unfortunately he is off to work, even though he would have loved to have supported me today.

I have a cup of tea, a bit of toast and a banana, hopefully that won't be too heavy and will get me the energy I need to try and beat my last 5K time. Things are not quite good with me, Naggy thinks that maybe it is nerves that's making run for the loo!

Naggy is driving to the event where we will meet up with Hitchhiker Jogger, and all do the warm up together. Because we all know that none of us will be running next to each other! But at least we can warm up together. By the way, the warm up was particularly good, as we were all really chilly walking about in just short sleeves!

All to soon we were lining up at the start, a quick photo opportunity, Naggy and Hitchhiker. Unfortunately, it wasn't a photo, I had actually taken a video! So as soon as I can figure out how to take a still from there, or even how to upload from my phone, then I will add picture later. The funny thing is though, that after I had taken the 'photo' I got back into position at the front, and just slightly nudge this other person out of the way a bit, and then I realised it was the Lady Mayoress having her photo opportunity!! Oh well, look out for us in the Bromely News, I think it was

The count down, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 GO! a massive surge forward as the runners nudged and jostled for lead position. I only want to get in the front because I know that there will be people passing me by, but I don't want 'everyone' to be in front of me at the finish. I tried not to run off to fast like I did in the mob match a couple of weeks ago, I just want to get a steady pace going.

I saw Naggy running off, I didn't see Hitchhiker pass me and I presumed that she will do, anytime now. But for now I have to concentrate, and run my own race. There are people here in fancy dress, there are 11 year olds, running with their mums and/or dads, there is a mixture of abilities here, but the elite runners now setting the pace! Not my pace though.

Reaching the river Ravensbourne for the first time, and running up the side of it. Now I am warm, my breathing is ok, and there are still people passing me by, I am glad I was at the front! I felt sure that there couldn't be many more runners behind me. I have a time in my head that I am competing against. It's the time that I got in the mob match a couple of weeks ago, 37.09 minutes. I want to beat that, I don't want to go over that, never, no more! I have to keep getting fitter and faster.

The sun is really warming us all up now, running back the other side of the little river I take a look at the other runners behind me. There are quite a few of them. I even managed to gain on some of the runners, which is good. I was trying to look ahead to see if I could see Naggy or Hitchhiker, but I couldn't see them. Back to my own race now.

Going up the first straight felt good. "Only have to go up here once more Old Girl, then its through the victory tunnel, and your first gong of the year!" The marshalls were brilliant, cheering us all on as we ran passed them. I was soon starting my second lap. That's when I head the announcement that the first runner was just about to run over the finish line!! I checked my Garmin 17:44 minutes! absolutely mind blowingly fast! Could I ever get anywhere faster than what I have done so far, let alone what these guys were doing!

The second lap was an emotional one for me. Thinking about people who I have known and lost through cancer. Some of the runners had notices pinned on their backs as to why they were running, 'Grandad' 'Mum' 'Dad'. These people running, raising money for cancer research. It brought back memories of why I started running in the first place. And of all the people that I know, or heard of, who have since suffered, suffering cancer, and for the lucky one, in remission!

The long straight now, I was desperately trying to get past this young boy and his dad, who seem to be running exactly same pace as me, but I really wanted to get passed them, a bit or a morale boost for me. Boy was I pleased when I finally did. There were other people who passed me, then I passed them who were just behind me, I wanted to keep them there, I picked up the pace a little more. Just as I was at the top of the 'B' shape, Hitchhiker saw me, she had finished her race in 30:01 mins. She jogged along with me, encouraging me, I could see her gong around her neck, and her goody bag, with a lovely bottle of water in her hand. I am having some of that! Running the last 150 meters now, I put a bit of a sprint on. "Go on Old Girl" says Hitchhiker, "You going to do a sprint finish?" "Oh yes" I said, as pass the 100m board!

I am sprinting now, running as fast as I could, I could feel myself feeling a little sick, but I just kept on going. I didn't want to throw up in front of everyone, but I am so on for a PB if I keep the pace going. Nagging is shouting at me now from the finish tape, she finished in 27:01 min"Go on Old Girl, you can do this in 35 or 36" I just pelt for the finish line, Underneath the big blow up triangle tunnel, stop my Garmin. Blimey! I did it, 36:09!! Yes, Yes, and Yes, a Personal Best for all of us!!

Then the feeling of nausea came over me, I had to put my head down, the tears started about now as I thoughts came back to me. I found Naggy and Hitchhiker and just burst out crying! Emotional. Now, lets get sorted for the next race. And that's the race I shall be wanted plenty of sponsors for! Cancer research UK!

Geeky stats


No comments:

Post a Comment