Saturday 19 February 2011

What A Wet, Yucky Day!

Hello blogees!

Well, our 30 mile trip didn't happen today. We woke up from a good night sleep, (helped by copious amounts of alcohol the night before!) and looked out of the windows. Rain. That horrible drizzly rain that just makes you feel yucky! Not the big fat drenching rain that will fall for an hour and then leave you alone for the rest of the day. No, it's that horrible thin wispy stuff that stays around for the whole day, bringing your mood down, and not wanting to do anything.

So, me and the Old Boy had a shopping expedition, thinking later on it will clear up. We seem to be becoming one of those very sad couples that you see hill walking, or snuggled around the fire of some cosy pub wearing matching jumpers, after taking off thier matching jackets, warming their feet shod with matching shoes! That's right folks, me and him have only bought ourselves the same cycling jackets!! Fortunately mine is a very different colour to his, I went for a bright yellow one, and the Old Boy went for a black and blue one....... hmmm....... just like a big bruise sitting on a bike!

Now, not only do we have the same make of bikes, but we have the same make of jackets! This is getting ridiculous! But he has accessorised his bike a little further, by buying a 'man bag' for it. It's a little triangle shaped thing that sits under his crossbar. Very fetching. I also got myself a couple more bits for my running as well.

After we got home from our shopping, we noticed a break in the weather, and decided to do just a 10 miler somewhere. Just an easy ride out. After we got ready, new jackets on, plus headlamps! we set off. It had started to rain again, and the headlamps showed how much it was raining. I was not looking forward to this ride at all. Not in the dark, not in the horrid thin wispy rain. I was looking forward to getting home and having my steak dinner before we even got on the road!

I must say, we did look good, all lit up like Christmas trees, the tubing and names on our jackets were all made with reflective material! and what with the extra lights on our heads, we made sure everyone could see us!

We had to go down Southborough lane, pop into the doctors to post something. and the Old Boy noticed a fatal flaw in his man bag. He had strapped it tightly around the cross bar, restricting the brake cable! Well, I tried not to smirk, but he sorted it out, and was soon on our way.

Heading up to Bromley, the rain was getting more and more, my glasses getting rain soaked. I managed to get to Bromley High street, and I had to wipe off the rain. the Old Boy always organised and had tissues on him! We cycled slowly through the high street, and then on towards our usual Bromely route. But instead of going down the rest of Plaistow Lane we turned left at headed off some other direction. "Where is he taking us today?" I wondered! It was dark, and you know me with directions, I hadn't a clue where we were heading. I just had to make sure that I kept an eye on his blinking lights and radioactive jacket!

The rain was coming down. I just started to recognise places, especially as we went under the rail way bridge near Chislehurst! "Your going to take me up summer Hill" I says to him "Nope" came his response. We stopped by an off license and the Old Boy had a flutter on the lotto, and came out with a bit of chocolate. I said, "You are taking me up Old Hill then" "Yep" he said. ARRRGGGGGHHH I hate that hill. It really is steep and long. I know I am not going to make this. Not in the rain, not today, no way! Not only that but there is road works on here, and cars parked on one side of the road, and loads of traffic. It was not a good time for me to attempt this hill today.

We started up the hill after having our choccie break. The Old Boy tried to encourage me, "You're doing better then me" he says, just a few minutes after this I cried out "ARRRGGHHH" and had to stop. The Old Boy kept going, I could see him, riding slowly up the hill, but he was moving on his bike. He managed to ride the whole hill, no stops. Not this time. He was very pleased with him self, and I was very proud of him. It is a horrible hill, and he did well to get up there. Well done Old Boy.

I walked part of the hill, and then got back on the bike to just finish the top. Next time, lets see how far I get. The way home from here is pretty easy now. No challenges, fairly on the level, with only just the slightest of elevations. I was so looking forward to getting home. I have enjoyed getting out. Testing out the new jackets, and the headgear, and also just to stretch and spin the legs.

The last mile or so home and all I had on my mind was my steak dinner. Coming down our road I was feeling pretty wet and sorry for myself, but I did feel good that I had gone out with the Old Boy on our matching bikes, in our matching jackets.

Geeky stats for you

No comments:

Post a Comment